YES Finally put a nice 8 down!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prostreetcamaro

Reaction score
Its been a rough year for my father and I and today I finally put a nice 8 down (first deer I have seen all gun season). It was a bang flop never took a step. I got pics but cant load them to this computer at my parents. I will post full story and pics shortly when I get home later which involves british looking dudes on horses and well over 50 hounds.

Congratulations on the 8 point. I'll be looking for the story and pictures.

Made it home (270 north sucks). Anyway we got to our spot in Boyds and settled down around 1:30. I have bad hearing so I have a set of pro ears I use for hunting. I put them on and instantly I heard what sounded like a huge pack of dogs way off in a distance. They keep getting louder and louder. About 15 minutes go bye and suddenly I heard something to my left running my direction. I look over and it is a heard of about 10 to 12 deer being lead by this 8 pointer (they were headed directly for the park across the street).

Being I was hunting on the ground I knew if I moved they would swerve away from me so I waited till they got right behind me (they were on a dead run). I jumped up, shouldered my disc elite and swung around the tree. When I did this I was greated by this buck standing broadside looking right at me while the other deer kept running. I had only one shot and it was a solid wide open 45 yard neck shot so instantly I took it. He went straight down and with in 10 seconds was out cold.

I walked over to get a better look and here come the dogs. They were ALL over the place. Had to be at least 50+ hounds howling and running all over the woods. I look over to my right and see about 10 horses with guys dressed like british fox hunters in red jackets about 80 yards away so I wave and they wave back and kept on going. If it were not for these guys and dogs I would not have seen these deer. After the year we have had so far I truely feel blessed to have been fortunate enough to get a buck like this on this highly over hunted property.

P1000621.jpg

EDIT: Here is the cell pic I took right after it happened. Notice he dropped so hard he never even kicked the leaves around. 95 grains of T7 2F and 240 grain PR dead center.

2.jpg

That's a great deer. Did you ever figure out why they horse back riders were flying through the woods? :D

I'll tell you, I have seen (I thought) just about everything! One thing I have never seen is a fox hunt during deer season!

Perfect timing! Awesome. Great buck and fine shooting under pressure!

Hey Pro Street!!!Nice 8 !!!!!
Check out the mass on those bases!
Way to be!

BTW its after labor day...get the AC out of the window. :lol: 8)

cayuga said:
That's a great deer. Did you ever figure out why they horse back riders were flying through the woods? :D

They do that every year the week of christmas. It is some sort of prestigious fox hunting club here in our area. This is the 2nd time they have run a nice buck to us. 2 years ago my father dropped one in the snow during there fox chace with his huntsman. I have never seen so many hounds at one time in my life. We have come to love these guys LOL!!!!!!! They also seem pretty friendly but it is amusing to see them all dressed up like that.

Spitpatch said:
BTW its after labor day...get the AC out of the window. :lol: 8)

HAHA yeah those people rent that house across the street from my parents. That thing hasnt been out of that window in years.

wow thats what i call a deer drive LOL

glad it worked out

i wonder on a fox hunt do they ever actually get the fox??

or do they just dress silly and run like hell thru the woods??

PS a good friend of mine does fox hunts here in MI and he says they are a blast

Rolex Dr. said:
wow thats what i call a deer drive LOL

glad it worked out

i wonder on a fox hunt do they ever actually get the fox??

or do they just dress silly and run like hell thru the woods??

PS a good friend of mine does fox hunts here in MI and he says they are a blast

These guys dont carry guns or anything so I assume they do it just to be out and run the dogs. Im not really sure what the point of it is but if they enjoy it then more power to them! One day if i ever see them along the road I am going to stop and talk to them and thank them!

Now that was a deer drive and 1/2 half. I could only imagine being there. Thanks for posting it.

Back