'Yote call?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Reaction score
Moderators, please move if this fits better in another forum.

With the canine tracks seen lately, and the increasing population of 'Yotes, I'm wanting to try calling. As a landowner, I can shoot 'yotes 365 days a year. I don't have a large spread, so I'd need to call them to me, rather than locate them and go to them. I know that dying rabbits are a standard, along with a 'yote distress call. But, I'm looking for specifics on a call or 2. What mfg and model? I'd rather start with a mouth call, then if the success is reasonable, then I'd look at a electronic call.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I have heard that yotes like kittens. Kitty cat calls might work. And some say cats are useless.

yotes

Blue-dot, How large of a spread do you have? Are snares out of the question?Do you have access to a seasoned coyote caller? Yotes are very sharp! They miss nothing! Practice elsewhere with your mouth calls until you have mastered them. Yotes educate quickly! Camo and set up is everything! Force them to expose that brown hide by using the available terrain! They will circle down wind, to see whats up. that is when your set up makes or busts you! Granted you will get the young of the year that will come bouncing right in! They do not last long, those that do survive are very cautious! If legal, deer carcass staked out works very well late in the season when vittles are hard to grub up! That is LATE season after the deer hunters are gone and all of the gut piles are cleaned up!Try letting them feed unmolested for sevaral days, use the wind and terrain to your advantage, it can work extremely well!

chickens

Rifleman said:
Try this:

" Free chickens! Free Chickens!" :lol:
R-Man,is that with a low pitch or high pitch Free Chickens? :lol:I went through the thriving metropolis of Montezuma today,had to refrain Lil-Tar from jumping out, he kept on mumbling he smelled ham! :lol:

Try a Cass Creek Call,very inexpensive! Available at Rual King Stores,or Cabelas. The fox pup distress call reels e'm in like a fishing line. Ron

I am not trying to sabotage this site but when Tar-12 said he went through Montezuma and smelled something I believed he meant the Montezuma in Ohio. You can smell something there and it can be our stagnant lake, smells pretty fishy. I did not realize Indiana had such a place also. Coyotes are opportunists, give them anything to eat and they will utilize it. That is why they continue to expand there range where there are no wolves.

I tried mouth calls with little success. Guess I needed more practice but it drove the dogs nuts in house and the neighbors didn't appreciate the strange noise. I finally bought a Johnny Stewart call and a set of tapes and they work. Some days you can't fool them. Likely they scented me but on other days they come a runnin' :D .

Rifleman said:
I know Lil Tar likes cake and cookies for sure :lol:[/quoteThere is not much little Lil-Tar doesnt like! :lol: If you need someone to clean up after Turkey day give him a shout! He will travel! :lol:Lil-Tar is awful fond of Mrs. Riflemans cooking. She was ranking higher than his Momma that day! I told him he was going to have to pipe down on that kinda talk when we got home, or we were likely to be fending for ourselves, he piped right down! :D

That's funny. I guess he knows that line," that if your not with the one you love, then love the one your with."

Latest posts

Back