Chasing Ghosts - The Sika Chronicles- Chapter 1 R&D

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samoset

Reaction score
With every great story a little backstory helps with understanding the characters their motivations , the environment .

The What, When, Who, Why and Where. So without boring you all to tears I’ll try my best to paint that picture. In as few words as possible.

My name is William most call me Will I’m 40 years old and currently reside on the eastern coast of North Carolina on a small family farm in a river community.

I have three beautiful children that are rapidly turning into independent adults and have the privilege of sharing all these experiences over the last 18 years with my best Freind and the love of my life.

I am a retired Chef and currently work as an assistant wood shop manager in a small town learning new things and building so rather amazing things.

8 years ago however working as a executive chef full time and having a passion for food that was borderline obsessive and unhealthy. I kept finding myself standing in the isles of grocery stores staring at these packages or cuts of meat that simply had no appeal to me.

I felt this disgusting feeling a disconnect an utter frustration and it happened time and time again. And a lot of times I’d put the meat back in the case and walk away.

You see I didn’t grow up in a hunting or livestock type of family, for the most part I grew up without family.

So at 31 years old I bought a bow did some research and eventually harvested my first deer. Simply In a personal pursuit to see if there was something better.

I had no idea if myself or my family would like venison it was a complete leap of faith out of desperation.

I feidl dressed , primaled and aged that deer for 21 days. The back straps , tenderloins, heart and liver all came in the house the night of the harvest, and I made venison heart tacos for dinner. My life had changed forever.

I proceeded to process and use every part of that spike. I could right down to the bone broth. I was sipping on a frosty morning the day I dropped my second and the process has been going on ever since.

Fast forward 6 years .probably about 2021 I read an article about the best tasting venison and the article went into many chapters about several tasty critters the Sika deer was one of them.

I was born and raised in Chesapeake and the Bay Area holds a very special place in my heart.

So I had been bitten by this idea of hunting these delicious little creatures in an amazing place.

At the time I didn’t put much thought into it , but now at this current time present day it’s safe to say it’s going to happen.

I just started the real research into making this not only a reality but hopefully a successful enjoyable, repeatable endeavor.

I’m currently looking at planning a three day scouting trip after this season is over to start familiarizing myself with the environment and what my needs will be when I come to hunt.
Hopefully the following season.

Marylands muzzleloading season and the potential to hunt these creatures outside of bow range is what has landed me here on this forum.

One of the first things I could use insight on if anyone has any to share. Is places to stay, I personally would like a tent campground. If possible. As motels and Vrbo get expensive on extended trips.

Another is access points I’ve looked at fishing bay , and Taylor’s island WMA maps briefly online. And finding a place to stay three nights with in a reasonable drive to these locations would be ideal.

As my research continues I will update this thread. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Will

There are a few motels in Cambridge and I believe there is a campground near Taylor’s Island. My deer farm is not far from there. Do a little homework, better sika hunting on public further down. Hope it works out for you. Check into Blackwater Refuge also.

Hello, Samoset, I'm not sure if you can privately message me but please do if you can.

Hello, Samoset, I'm not sure if you can privately message me but please do if you can.
It doesn’t appear that I am allowed to start private messages on the forum but if you can you are more than welcome to message me.

So over this last week or so , since I have whole heartedly decided to make this endeavor a reality, I’ve been looking at maps of black water nwmr, Taylor’s island wma, and fishing bay wma. As well as generally looking for camp grounds, motels or vrbos in the general areas of these three areas, watched a bunch of videos of different individuals hunting sika and still have a whole lot of research left to do .

One of the things I’ve been paying attention to in the videos I watch is how everyone is hunting them, and trying to attain as much information from the videos on the when where and why,

Almost every video is someone in a stand or saddle.

In the past I’ve felt most comfortable and enjoyed still hunting, wandering around a bit siitting up against a tree. And then Wandering a little more following signs and looking at what I knew”or thought” would put better odds in my favor and pursuing that.

I’ve had a climbing stand in the past, never tried saddle hunting,

So I’m curious if people put on stalks with these deer after they spot them, or if they still hunt them at all, I’m sure people do, I’m just curious to if the terrain and environment make that style of hunting astronomically harder.

Because initially that was my intentions. Was a still hunt or spot and stalk style approach.

Especially not knowing where I’d like to sit in a tree. I figured going into this I would keep myself as mobile as possible.

Still looking at any camping options possible with in a reasonable drive to these three areas.

Pretty sure I’m settled on driving up for 3-5 days 4-6 six nights second or third week in may 2024. To familiarize myself with the area and get my boots on the ground so I have a much better understanding of what to expect and to have a better understanding of what all to bring when I return to hunt for the first time.

I’ll likely come with both hip and chest waders on the first trip atleast and some decent glass and gps software.

The amount of area there is to cover and being a little over 4 hours away from home presents an entirely different style of hunting then I have ever experienced, I believe that is a large amount of the appeal to me.

On a whole separate note being a retired chef on these adventures I would absolutely hate to miss out on what the eastern shore of Maryland has to offer in culinary offerings , after all this will be my vacation time I should enjoy the culture and some good food while I’m there. So recommendations on any thing fro fine dining to dinners delis and pub food are more than welcome.

I look forward to this first trip up , it will simply be an adventure and one that is needed.

Thanks again

So the quest continues, for information based on all things sika hunting Maryland, one thing I’ve learned is there is a bit of a elephant on the couch,

Read a lot of different forum posts on different forums on the matter and a large amount “not all” of the local hunters don’t seam very happy about the amount of non local hunting pressure. Which is understandable. It does make it a little hard to gain valuable information on the internet.

So I have refrained from starting threads on any other forums on the topic as it’s not my intention to stir the pot. I read enough threads that were hostly hijacked. So i will continue to simply compile the information i find here .

I decided on my first muzzleloader. Going with the wood man arms patriot standard 1:24 twist with the 225 grain 40cal star tip and blue harvester sabot , 100 grains by volume black horn 209 by volume as recommended my the creators of the rifle .

I’m going to pair it with their tracker sights for now and simply try and not push the limits of what I’m comfortable with this setup, I have no doubts if I put in the time . This rifle and I will have no trouble eventually putting it together for a successful harvest.

One day I will likely scope it but let’s keep things simple for now.

So when I come up in may I'm thinking of bringing a saddle, I'm not sure if I will like saddle hunting, but figure I can hang around in a few trees while I’m scouting and decide before I commit to my first hunting trip up.

I wasn’t a huge fan of climbers and the weight of them doesn’t seem very appealing to me. Not sure I’m interested in one sticking but I’ll practice with two sticks one with an adder and one with a platform and hope that gets me up high enough that I feel I confident.

I’d like to keep my gear weight to where I’m still comfortable packing everything out especially if successful and packing out a sika.

I have plenty of space and trees to play with where so I’ll likely know if I like the system long before I ever make it up.

I’ve learned threw my research that some people regard this as some of the hardest hunting they have ever done and vow they will never come back only to realize they got the bug and subject themselves to years of failed hunts before ever having successful hunts.

I’ve learned that second to nothing and quite possibly the only pieces of gear you will never regret carrying extras of is 2 thermacells and Any other type of mosquito defense that may help in any way shape or form.

That many hunters have simply called it quits just because of the mosquito pressure.

I have found information on hotels and campgrounds I’m fairly confident I’m going to camp at Taylor’s island family campground when I come up in may.

While I’m there I’d like to familiarize myself with the area in general. Check out local gun shops , bow shops , dinners, laundry mats, If there are truck stops that may have showers incase wherever I end up camping doesn’t have showers.

This has been more than I originally ment to post so I’ll let all of that marinade for a bit,

Thanks again for any advice or guidance. I look forward to this endeavor and meeting the community and seeing this part of our beautiful country and spending some time in it and soaking it up.

Last edited:

This video is what put interest on how I could use a saddle setup multiple ways hunting sika in the marsh,

even if not way up in a tree using it, then in different ways to be able to remain comfortable in the marsh for multiple hours and cover as much ground as possible.

Up until I find the tree I’d like .

Just a note, the majority of trees in prime sika areas are pretty much dead. Try to find where a piece of hardwoods connect 2 marshes and hunt the edges. There is a ton of public land out there that holds a bunch of sika. Biggest factor with sika deer is they respond very well to calls and the sika rut is in October. Sika deer is becoming a big deal now a days, so much that the state now forces a 10 dollar stamp that started this year.
Good luck in your ventures.

Just a note, the majority of trees in prime sika areas are pretty much dead. Try to find where a piece of hardwoods connect 2 marshes and hunt the edges. There is a ton of public land out there that holds a bunch of sika. Biggest factor with sika deer is they respond very well to calls and the sika rut is in October. Sika deer is becoming a big deal now a days, so much that the state now forces a 10 dollar stamp that started this year.
Good luck in your ventures.
Solid advice, thanks

I hunted Sika in the Czech Republic. Best advice I have is once you get in your 'spot' to sit very still, no noise or movement. Be careful moving your eyeballs, haha. If you thought a Whitetail was cagy and could spot you, well, they ain't got nothing on a Sika, at least the ones I hunted. They are very wary, and do not hesitate to bolt if they spot any type of danger. Good luck!

I hunted Sika in the Czech Republic. Best advice I have is once you get in your 'spot' to sit very still, no noise or movement. Be careful moving your eyeballs, haha. If you thought a Whitetail was cagy and could spot you, well, they ain't got nothing on a Sika, at least the ones I hunted. They are very wary, and do not hesitate to bolt if they spot any type of danger. Good luck
Precisely why I found my way here and decided to give muzzleloading a shot, allowing myself some increased distance between myself and my game some great seasons out there and a little less movement then having to draw my bow.

Just committed as well to try and give saddle hunting a shot, have plenty of trees and space here to get used to everything until season opens up ,

Likely going to get plenty of practice hanging around the next couple months I should know pretty quickly if this setup is something that will work for me , I have a bit of swamp and wetlands behind the farm to play in and a nice pellet rifle that can act in place of my patriot until it arrives.

This should prove to be a decent preseason preparation agenda.

At least keep my mind busy and get me out in the woods lol

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 0
Good luck to you, hope you are able to connect on a good Sika, they are a very interesting deer. I really enjoyed my time hunting for them in Czech Republic! A good buck will get you pumped up!
00--hg_K7nlTyyhMXxRTLUblPWBkxF5tDYe7VrPtL4XS8qh4GMzXYmvAomf_EuHIUrZ

So my first ever climb on to sticks and testing my comfort was two sticks with the platform an additional 14-17 high of to the right a bit so I had a natural stride into and out of it. That was this past Saturday, the following Sunday midday I climbed all three with a little more experience and put a tree behind me for something extra for support and a back drop,

Measuring it a few hours later I put my feet right at 12’ I ordered three additionala one step amsteel aiders at 14-17” to put me up just a bit more. Looking forward to refining this system.

Good weekend

Attachments

• IMG_2688.jpeg
    IMG_2688.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
What do you believe the advantage is over a climbing style tree stand?
My experience is limited with the saddle but from my first sit the ability to adjust adapt on the fly , and the weight savings and pack ability alone have me pretty confident I’ll never go back to a climber , I’ll update as I progress and practice more.

My experience is limited with the saddle but from my first sit the ability to adjust adapt on the fly , and the weight savings and pack ability alone have me pretty confident I’ll never go back to a climber , I’ll update as I progress and practice more.
Intend on setting up a few targets at varying distances and locations throughout the woods and carrying a 30cal break barrel pellet rifle that is notoriously hard to shoot and requires a particular hold into the tree and seeing how I feel about things then. It’s also heavy to boot

Intend on setting up a few targets at varying distances and locations throughout the woods and carrying a 30cal break barrel pellet rifle that is notoriously hard to shoot and requires a particular hold into the tree and seeing how I feel about things then. It’s also heavy to boot
Which air rifle is that you're referring to? I thought about getting into them, but for the initial cost I can get a custom ML built.
I'm from southern Md & I spent a good amount of time on the eastern shore. I did a bunch of duck & goose hunting on the eastern shore, but never got into Sika deer hunting. I had several opportunities to do it, just no interest in killin the little guys. I hear they are challenging to hunt, but I've been in a cpl places where they are everywhere. I would like to eat one though. This is an interesting thread, thanks

Which air rifle is that you're referring to? I thought about getting into them, but for the initial cost I can get a custom ML built.
I'm from southern Md & I spent a good amount of time on the eastern shore. I did a bunch of duck & goose hunting on the eastern shore, but never got into Sika deer hunting. I had several opportunities to do it, just no interest in killin the little guys. I hear they are challenging to hunt, but I've been in a cpl places where they are everywhere. I would like to eat one though. This is an interesting thread, thanks
https://hatsanairgunsusa.com/product/mod-135-vortex-qe-carnivore-30cal/

Latest posts

Back