You Want To Be A Mountain man?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
You say you want to be a Mountain Man, and go kill a grizzly with your replica Hawken with a PRB? Not a good idea.

Read this.

“…more information pertaining to the grizzly than any other group of people during the nineteenth century. If a list describing the nature of the grizzly bear had been compiled by mountain men from their actual experiences and sent to St. Louis to serve as a warning to the greenhorn who would be coming to the summer rendezvous, the following images of the grizzly…could have been included: no fear of man, almost impossible to kill, expert swimmers, faster than our horses, unbelievable strength, kills bison, buries kill in hole, strikes with forepaw, will return and maul victim if tormented, will avoid man if possible, tears up ground when wounded, will attack gun when fired upon, attacks horses, attacks at night, cubs are ferocious, country abounds with, does not climb tree, must have guards around camp at night for protection against, must shoot in eye or just behind ear to kill, guns only infuriate, often plays dead, attacks with open mouth, drawn into camp by food cooking, poor eyesight, will try to dig up tree or break them down when trapper has sought their safety, bites and scratches at wound with claws, large as ox, person should stand and face if attacked, will come within a few yards and stand on hind legs and look you in the eye, if you run you’re dead, one shot thirty times before killed, trapper usually in shock for one-half hour after encounter with…” – Mountain Man & Grizzly, Pg. 10

Pretty scary when all you have is one shot.

Shoot it in the eye is not a good option for a pissed off bear coming at you.

I worry about shooting a black bear with a PRB. Forget a grizz.

We have a cabin in New Mexico, and I see black bears often, and have had no trouble. I'd go into those areas with my smoke pole anyday. Just have to be aware of possible bears. Went to Alaska and my brother and guide had us pack iron and heavy iron in case we saw a grizzly, we'd be prepared. Two week up there and all I saw was one black bear, and I was on a tour boat, he was on shore. Fishermen were camped right there and we hollered at them and the bear just went on his way, ignoring them. I'm very much aware of bears, but I love the wilderness to much to stay away, just go prepared and be aware.

Bears are no problem at all. I was talking about hunting for them. Then you have them in your face up close and personal.

We have no baiting, dogs, traps etc for bears here. It's on the ground stalking for them.

Muley said:
Bears are no problem at all. I was talking about hunting for them. Then you have them in your face up close and personal.

We have no baiting, dogs, traps etc for bears here. It's on the ground stalking for them.
So, the important thing is to take one hunting partner who is slower than you...

You don't need to be faster than the bear, you need to be faster than your friend. :joker:

Kentucky Colonel said:
Muley said:

So, the important thing is to take one hunting partner who is slower than you...

You don't need to be faster than the bear, you need to be faster than your friend. :joker:
Nobody is slower than me. I need to shoot straight, or go down fighting with my bowie knife, and that won't take long either. I be dead!

Muley said:
Kentucky Colonel said:
Muley said:

Nobody is slower than me. I need to shoot straight, or go down fighting with my bowie knife, and that won't take long either. I be dead!
That means I should go hunting with you, Muley!:p

Sure! Come on out. You can watch my back when we call in a bear.  :pirat:

Or an elk.   :D

Where's that video of Davy Crockett staring down and fighting that bear in the thickets?
That wasn't Fess Parker. That was Muley (Pete)!
Ron

IDK what is better, learning that Muley would trust me with his back or learning that he is Fess Parker!
:geek:

Latest posts

Back