young shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graydy

Reaction score
Any ideas where to start a young shooter, will be using a traditions persuit. Would like a starting point for powder and bullet combo for deer at max 70 yards. Any help would be appreciated

a good 250 grn bullet of your choice, and whatever the kid/gun shoots best with around 50-70 grn powder, probably 60ish grns.
All my home shots are short range, and many years my hunting load is 80 grn powder. Ive killed a few deer with a .45 sidelock and a patched roundball, over 40-50 grns powder

Squeeze said:
a good 250 grn bullet of your choice, and whatever the kid/gun shoots best with around 50-70 grn powder, probably 60ish

X2

Never did the 50, but started my youngest with 60gr of BH209 with 250 Barnes all copper bullet and it worked very well.

thanks for the replys, was thinking along the same lines as you guys, just wasnt shure if 60 gr would be enough, dont want her to be afraid of the recoil.Guess ill find out when we get set up today

My daughter and I have had alot of success with 40gr of 3f T7 and a T/C cheap shot. 1300 fps. Between the two of us 7 deer at ranges of 15 feet to 125 yards ( my daughter). Its easy on the shooter. On the deer? Not so much...

Latest posts

Back