Boron Nitride

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
I go to the range the other day with my Knight T-Bolt and sight it in for early black powder season. There, a well knowledgeable shooter starts talking about coating your muzzleloaders and bullets with Boron Nitride. Now I primarily use Barnes MZ Expanders copper 300 grain bullets. So I start researching Boron Nitride and find several interesting articles. I find that the most interesting part to coat your inner barrels with Boron Nitride was for easier reloads and cleaning reasons. Any of you expert muzzleloaders have any experience, thoughts, complaints, or sarcastic comments to the use of Boron Nitride? Or is this really a gimmick?

Never heard of anyone using it in a muzzleloader (but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that someone has). Sounds as though it may be of greater benefit to cartridge gun shooters.

This is not to be confused with salt bath nitriding which I do believe has great benefits.

Edit: I do recall now reading about this guy using it years ago. Never seemed to take off though.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/boron_nitride_lubricant.htm?expand_article=1

Last edited:
Just thinking aloud here. They talk about using the coated bullets to coat the barrel. Curious if the powder was poured in the barrel and plugged. Then rotate/agitate the barrel back and forth would properly coat the barrel and breech plug?

Just thinking aloud here. They talk about using the coated bullets to coat the barrel. Curious if the powder was poured in the barrel and plugged. Then rotate/agitate the barrel back and forth would properly coat the barrel and breech plug?

This stuff looks and acts a little like Talcum powder but is very slick.

You can put it on a patch and run it through your barrel to help make the barrel slicker, and to help keep Copper and Lead from sticking to the inside of the barrel.

I checked this out on another web site. Apparently you can mix one teaspoon with 16oz of 90% rubbing alcohol and swab into the barrel. This seems a lot simpler.I ordered some of this on Amazon and will use the alcohol solution in my Vision and see what I think.

Last edited:
Wow that this subject comes up. I just hunted with a guy named Joe that said he invented it while under contract with Federal Cartridge. He's a chemist. Federal had no interest in it and shelved the project, laid him off, and kept all his notes so he didn't get the patent.

Mark Woodman is having my new Brux barrel nitride coated. Surely theres a significant difference in the chemical properties, but I'm going to look at this thread as it develops and talk with Joe. Very interesting!

In a nutshell, it is for barrels that burn out in half a heartbeat. And only used by a few world class competitors. [EDIT2: Mostly, Only. The Bell Curve and all.]
Any Gunner of Gunmen has a dotgov paid armorer to upkeep his stick on downtimes. And that dotgov paid armorer AIN'T got no time for
BN.
Let it alone for front loader equipment and just enjoy life. If you have Stewart Wilson, David Tubb, yada's genes...
and monies, Have At It. I'll use my monies and time purchasing Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yr old, 1792 Barrel Proof & Single Barrel,
yada and still pick left or right pupil out to 600m under a mild wind. {EDIT: I did not mean to imply with a Smoke Pole.} Till the Lord takes that gift back.

Last edited:
Wow that this subject comes up. I just hunted with a guy named Joe that said he invented it while under contract with Federal Cartridge. He's a chemist. Federal had no interest in it and shelved the project, laid him off, and kept all his notes so he didn't get the patent.

Mark Woodman is having my new Brux barrel nitride coated. Surely theres a significant difference in the chemical properties, but I'm going to look at this thread as it develops and talk with Joe. Very interesting!
There are the great that walk among us. An not all are angels.

Back