Your best groups

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john 800

Reaction score
I have been muzzle loading using a cva for a few years, and I never got to carried away with accuracy because in MN we need to use Iron sights during the ML season. I just bought an Omega and am planning to scope it for load development just for the heck of it and I am curious just how good these modern inlines are capable of shooting.

Post your best, repeatable, groups and what was used to get them. (Or keep it a secret if you like) :D

PS after I find a good load and scope it I really think the Omega will benefit from glassbedding. But thats later.

300gr Shockwave (Black saboot,) 115gr Blackhorn, Fed 209A prints 3/4" out of my Triumph.

In my Omega X7 - I wanted to say two-inches or less at 100 yards. But to be honest, while I do get those groups they are not truly repeatable.

So, for repeatable groups I have to say three and a half inches or less at 100. Now I talking about a range session with a half dozen five-shot groups. The load is 300 grain Speer Deep Curl Hollow Point in a Harvester short black sabot over 85 grains of either GOEX FFFg or Pyrodex RS. I can get the same groups with the 250 grain Deep Curl, and using 95 grains of powder under either bullet.

I recently had an enlightening experience with my X7 that indicates a bedding job may very well tighten up those groups considerably. I'll be finding out for sure after I get around to doing it.

Semisane, keep me posted on the bedding, I would be very interested. What stock does yours have? I had my cousin who is a very good professional gunsmith bed my Rem 700 VLS, I just did not trust myself wit that epoxy, at the time. I am not sure if I will do this one myself or bring it over to him. I am tempted to do it myself I think it would be pretty simple to do the rear portion of each recoil lug, and thats just more fun...

Mine has the laminate stock John.

SimmonsProDiamond4X.jpg

So is mine, mine is grey bu the brown looks nice too.
What was it that lead you to beleive it can benefit from bedding? I checked to see if the barrels came free floated using the old dollar bill trick and found that it seemed like they wanted it free floated but it had little or no clearance in a few spots.

My best groups would be almost a hole at 100 yards. BUT that is not a typical group. With a scoped inline I like to keep a 2-1/2 inch or better. But I will hit a 3 even a 4 once in a while. Normally its 1-1/2 to 2 inches with a scope and a good rifle.

With open sights... 3-1/2 is a good group. I once clover leafed at 100 yards. But that is not common. Not by any means. Sometimes I have a flier and it makes a 5 inch group. But most the time around 3 is common.

I got to reading this thread again and the thought struck me - my idea of a "group" may not be the same as yours, and a third person's idea may not be the same as either yours or mine.

For example, when I talk about group size I'm talking at least five shots. I know three-shot are more commonly considered when discussing group size, and that's fairly accurate in most cases. But three shots have a better chance of being an anomaly than four, five or more. Of course, a series of three-shot groups that all stay within a given diameter give pretty much the same information as one six-shot group, if both groups are in the same spot on the target. But if three-shot group #1 is and inch to the left of three-shot group #2, how big is the six-shot group?

I've even seen posts of targets showing two shots nearly touching that were called a half-inch group. To me that is not a "group", just two shots that happen to be very close to each other. It may or may not represent the ability of the gun or load.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Your opinion may differ, and that's fine with me.

With sabots & BH209: .458 SOCOM or .429 XTP (non-mag) & 110gr. BH.

Post QLA removal: 460gr. .500 No Excuse conical & 80 gr. Pyrodex RS.

With care all produce regular 1.5" groups. On a great day sub-moa.

IMG_9893.jpg

Be blessed.

Semisane, that is right that can make a big difference if you throw out a flier that you know was your fault or that one group that is one hole while the other 5 you shot that day are 1.5"

My Omega likes 250 grn T/C ShockWaves or Hornady SST's in a Harvester SB sabot with 110 grns of BH209 and a Win 209. Three shots are consistently an inch or better at 100 and often touch. At 200 yds. three shots are usually under 3 to 3.5". Other bullets shoot real well, but the ShockWaves are consistently the most accurate when used with Harvester sabots in my rifle. BTW--my rifle has never been bedded and most of the groups were shot with the factory plastic stock. I added the laminated stock last winter. YMMV--Have fun
IMGP0718.jpg

IMGP0270-1.jpg

The same load with Fed primers and then Win 209's--my rifle likes the Win's--
IMGP1948.jpg

At 200 this is typical with my 3x9 Leupold U-Slam scope.
IMGP0272-1.jpg

Paia, Thats interesting on the primers, nice shooting.
Semisane, I read the bedding thread and thats what I was suspecting.

The best 3shots group was with a Knight Disc Elite extreme SS with composite stock and contour barrel was 5/8" @ 100 yards.
Barnes Spitfire boattail 245 gr,
80gr loose 2F Triple7 powder
Winchester w9
moose1

Hey Paia, if you get a chance run a dollar bill between your berral and stock and see if it is loose or tight or if it will fit at all. Itching to get a scope on mine now. :D

My Triumph is a tack driver with 250gr SST's in Harvester short sabots over 110grs of BH209 with a CCI209M primer. It prints just over 1 inch at 100yards, everytime.

J-

My friend has a Omega topped with a 3x9 Burris (steel rings and bases). He shoots 250 grain Shockwaves with two 50 grain 777 pellets. Can't remember which primer but he shoots inch and half groups at a 100 yards.

Shot a 1.5" group today at 200yds using 100 gr BH209, CCI primers and a 250 gr Barnes TMZ bullet. My TC PH loves both the Barnes and the Hornady SST 300gr.

Latest posts

Back