Your FAVORITE load for the 10ML-II newby...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
LOTS of people looking for advice on which load to use.. I just thought it might be a good idea to list your ONE "most likely to group on the first try" load. In addition...give your ONE most helpful hint....

Favorite newby load...
40-42gr N-110/250gr SST/Harvester short black sabot.

Helpful hint:
Clean the carbon from your breechplug after each range session. A 5/32 drill bit will pass completely thru the center of the plug with the ventliner removed.

My FIRST load I shoot in all my 10ML-II's is

40GR N110, 250 XTP, MMP Short

Shoots GREAT!

XTP 250 5744 at 40 grains MMP short

This load does not require much cooling time between shots, but on hot days with hotter loads 10 minutes of patience makes a great deal of difference.

BR's - Cob

My first load was 46 grains of 4227 with a 300 grain HTP. Nothing to write home about. I was told of a load and tried it. 43 grains of 4759 with a 250 SST and win primer. Bingo. It worked and have used it ever since. MOA when I'm having a good day.

I say the 250grn or 300grn XTP. 41grns of 5744. Short black MMP sabot or harvester. Winchester primers.

5744 is a great powder for beginners and when your low on cash. No scale needed. The Lee Dippers cost about $6.00 bucks. The 3.1 dipper was my favorite and most consistent.

big6x6 said:
LOTS of people looking for advice on which load to use.. I just thought it might be a good idea to list your ONE "most likely to group on the first try" load. In addition...give your ONE most helpful hint....

Favorite newby load...
40-42gr N-110/250gr SST/Harvester short black sabot.

Helpful hint:
Clean the carbon from your breechplug after each range session. A 5/32 drill bit will pass completely thru the center of the plug with the ventliner removed.

I might say the same thing or go to 4759. But what I like about your suggestion is the Harvester Short black sabot. I've been trying to get people to try them for months. They got a lot going for them, they're tough, easy loading, accurate, and cheap.

Grouse said:
I say the 250grn or 300grn XTP. 41grns of 5744. Short black MMP sabot or harvester. Winchester primers.

5744 is a great powder for beginners and when your low on cash. No scale needed. The Lee Dippers cost about $6.00 bucks. The 3.1 dipper was my favorite and most consistent.

:yeah: :yeah:

Grouse said:

:yeah:

5744 weighed 44.0 grains 300 xtp(non-mag)mmp short or trimmed hph-12, 300 barnes mz expander swap out to new hph-12 always moa for both
and thats out of 6 diff ml10-2`s best tip get the best scope your money can buy!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

300 gr Bonded Shockwave with new MMP HPH-12 sabots, Winchester 209 primers, and 38.0 gr of N110 (by weight). 1/2 moa at 100 yards, if you do your part! You'll get just under 2100 fps out of this load and 6.2" of drop at 200 yards with a trajectory peak of about +1.6". From 0-150 yards, you can hold dead on.

* Important to note...replace the sabots that come with the Shockwaves! Use fresh MMP HPH-12 sabots directly from MMP. This is good advice for most of the bullets shot in the 10ML-II!! If this load is extremely tight in your bore, try switching to the MMP HPH-24 sabots with the same load.

Grouse said:

:yeah:

Back