Your other half and hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
How many men here would like thier other half to join them in some of their hunting trips?

My fiance is wonderful in that she doesn't complain about my hunting, but I do wish she'd join me on a trip or two.

Two summers ago, we went cross country and were in the Dakotas. While there I shot prairie dogs while she sat in the truck doing crossword puzzles. We had two way radios to keep in contact but I wished she didn't just sit there in the truck. It would have been nice to go across some of the land and explore a bit more.

But I guess I am lucky in some ways. I know others who basically hung up their guns.

bigbore442001 said:
How many men here would like thier other half to join them in some of their hunting trips?

My fiance is wonderful in that she doesn't complain about my hunting, but I do wish she'd join me on a trip or two.

Two summers ago, we went cross country and were in the Dakotas. While there I shot prairie dogs while she sat in the truck doing crossword puzzles. We had two way radios to keep in contact but I wished she didn't just sit there in the truck. It would have been nice to go across some of the land and explore a bit more.

But I guess I am lucky in some ways. I know others who basically hung up their guns.

Yeah well my wife didn't complain either when she was just a fiance. Believe me things change when they get that ring on their finger. :lol:

I don't know if mine just didn't want me hunting or getting up at 4am to cook me those homemade buttermilk biscuits.As we got older together all I had to say was"you want me to stay in bed with you all day and have sex or to just go hunting.She'd say "be sure to wear something warm .

My ex wife always said my hunting and fishing was the mistress in my life. I was not willing to leave my mistress(hunting and fishing). So she left! :wink: No lose of sleep over it.

My 2nd Wife and current wife is very supportive of my hunting and fishing. She likes to fish, does not care to hunt. I like the company when I fish but i'm more of a loner when it comes to my hunting so it works out.

If a woman really loved you she would not ask you to stop doing something you really liked.

Just my 2 cents.

My wife of 34 years loves to hunt deer with me. She's an excellent shot, and has taken a good number of deer with her 7x57 Ruger M77 (I shortened the stock a little for her).
The difficult part is keeping her warm enough. And she always complains that she can't stay out long enough 'cuse she's got to go back to the camp to go potty. So I built her a two-room blind, with the one in back being an outhouse. We call it the "outblind" :lol:

IM jaybe :)

If Mrs. Loggy ever decided that she wants to accompany me on my hunting trips...that's when i'd quit hunting!!!! A big part of hunting to me is getting away from hassles & havin a lil peace & quiet! Nuff said. :lol:

The Mrs. always tells my 19 & 23 yr old Daughters that before they marry...check his closet & if you see one speck of camo attire....RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! :lol:

IT's Male bonding period, Have a few beers after the hunt talk real stupid,
Fart, belch, snore. All Ok.
I have good friends that went out west every year and then one year one guy took his wife. they never went again.
Now if my wife wanted to go out the back door and hunt, that would be fine or accompany me as long as she can walk back to the house when she gets bored. When I go on a trip its guys only.
My wife says why do you go up north to hunt deer when you can shoot all you want out the backdoor.
By the way my wife is a Shrink and very understanding, She has to counsel some women as to why there husbands want to leave them at home.
Ken

This is a really interesting post.

I see two schools of thought: there are those who really like being with their wife and wish she would hunt with them too or those whose wives get on their nerves and need time to go hunting to get way from her.

I'm glad I want my wife to come along! She's a better hunter than me, can track like a champion (her nickname is bloodhound) and she has nerves of steal at the moment of truth (I can't say that about myself). We fish and go on backcountry canoe trips together and she honestly loves it as much as I do. And, my hunting buddies like her better than me. I guess its because she'll have a few beers after the hunt, etc etc

I guess I'm just lucky! We plan week long hunting, fishing and canoe vacations, not Mexico or Vegas trips.

I should also add, I almost have her convinced we need to start saving now for a Yukon moose hunt for our 25th anniversary. Who cares that its over 15 years away!! Can't be too prepared!!

My wife, of 36 years, doesn't like to hunt. Took her out twice. Once on a goose hunt for our anniversary :roll: and once deer hunting. She didn't like it. She doesn't mind that I hunt, in fact encourages it. She really likes to fish though :D

Jcchartgirl...NY's Muzzleloader Season w/Savage 10ml..

107_0778.jpg

J-Boy your a lucky man.Are those deer tracks I'm seeing all around her??

In the beginning I really wanted my wife to come hunting with me. Then I just wanted her to come to the range with me. Then I would have settled for just having her help me butcher the deer.

Now when I get a deer I ask her which chick flick she'll be going to see and I start calling my meat cutting buddies.

Men aren't women and women aren't men. Each gender needs to have their own society. As time has gone on, there are fewer and fewer opportunities for the guys to get together and not have to worry about offending with gender statements. (I have three daughters and no sons and I suffer from chronic estrogen poisoning.) Women have plenty of chance to get together without the men.

THAT BEING SAID, if you want your wife/girlfriend/female to come hunting or shooting with you, I suggest the following:

1. Be prepared to come back early the first few times you take her out.

2. Be really, really nice to her when she comes out, at least the first few times.

3. Start with very light loads, large targets, short distances, and a gun that fits.

4. When (not if) it takes her five minutes to learn to track as well as you do, be properly humbled, tell her how great she's doing, praise her and appreciate her.

5. The first forays should be in warm weather.

6. NEVER embarass her in the context of anything to do with shooting or hunting.

7. The day after you take her out, buy a card, chocolate, and flowers. I don't care if you don't see the point. Do you want her to come again or not?

8. If she doesn't want to shoot the first time, find out which of her friends wants to learn to shoot, and invite a group of them. If you don't include your wife, call a divorce lawyer before you go out. If she doesn't have any friends, call a divorce lawyer now, and don't let her get her hands on a gun.

9. Be prepared for her to shoot better than you do.

IF you NEVER want her to come back, make sure you hand her a gun that's too big, preferably a 10 gauge with 31/2' magnum loads, don't give her hearing protection, laugh really loud when she knocks herself on her butt in front of your buddies, keep her out after she gets cold and needs to pee, and say, "Quit whining" a lot.

Back