Your thoughts on Remington MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike nelson

Reaction score
What really is the difference between the older production model of the 700 Mz and the new Ultimate? I'm not interested in shooting 200 grain charges or attempting 300 yd. shots as they claim with the Ultimate and realize that a bolt nose conversion is available for the older 700 model that eliminates any blow back and makes it a 209 ignition. I'm partial to bolt muzzleloaders and interested in the longer barreled mo. 700 to complement my shorter barreled Rugers. Do these have a 3 position safety? I would be shooting BH209 and Sabots.

I'll take a stab at this but others are more qualified to answer this.
For what you're talking about doing, I think you would be happier with an older 700 with the Hunter bolt nose conversion. The Ultimate is a beautiful gun but really is geared more towards pellets. It's my understanding that when shooting BH209 you risk gas cutting of the breech plug. Also one thing I'm not sure about is it's a well documented fact that when shooting BH209 there's more breech plug maintenance required. The breech plug isn't really intended to be removed on the Ultimate.
I think the Ultimate is a really nice muzzleloader and I've thought several times about getting one but I think it's geared to a very specific type of shooting and didn't allow me the potential flexibility I like.
Encore50 has a lot of experience with these. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in.

ponsness said:
What really is the difference between the older production model of the 700 Mz and the new Ultimate? I'm not interested in shooting 200 grain charges or attempting 300 yd. shots as they claim with the Ultimate and realize that a bolt nose conversion is available for the older 700 model that eliminates any blow back and makes it a 209 ignition. I'm partial to bolt muzzleloaders and interested in the longer barreled mo. 700 to complement my shorter barreled Rugers. Do these have a 3 position safety? I would be shooting BH209 and Sabots.

About the only things similar are that they both load from the muzzle and trigger replacements. The 700ml is much lighter weight than the 700 Ultimate, which with a scope mounted will weigh around 10#, or heavier with a heavy scope. The RUM uses a brass primer carrier, which can be loaded or unloaded easily in the coldest weather with heavy gloves. The RUM uses the actual Remington 700 action, which requires the purchaser to fill out the 4473 form, where the 700ml is classified as a muzzleloader action.

What might turn some shooters off, is the RUM's ....... ability....... to shoot much heavier charges. It scares them ;) Heavy charges (maximum) are not necessary, just as rifles only capable of shooting 150grs, are normally shot with a much lighter charge. In reality the RUM will shoot better IMO with less than a maximum charge. If one chooses to shoot and/or hunt at long range (200yds+), the RUM with near maximum charges has a little advantage, with higher velocity and bullet energy at POI. The heavier weight rifle certainly helps with near maximum charge recoil.

The RUM has the two position Remington 700 safety.

BH209 and the RUM............. A writer started out posting how good the RUM ignited BH209 and the heavy charges of BH that could be used. It will ignite BH209. However, BH is still not listed as an approved propellant in the owner's manual. Those shooting BH from the RUM run the risk of gas cutting the nipple on the breech plug. It appears that the nitro cellulous properties of BH is the major contributor. However, experience also indicates that repriming the brass to many times can also be a contributing factor. IIRC the writer suggested the brass could be reprimed up to a dozen times, Remington recommends less, but in reality some might only be reprimed 3 times.
The RUM will ignite BP or any of the BP substitutes. The CF primer is hotter, but has less pressure than a 209 primer and will ignite and burn pellets exceptionally well.

Both rifles actions can be used if one chooses in the future, to change barrels to a 45 cal and custom barrel. Myself if I were to convert an action to 45cal, I'd rather it be with the heavier and actual Remington 700 action. It appears some are purchasing the RUM just for the action itself, just to convert them to smokeless capable rifles.

Hope the information helps. Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts

Back