Youth Load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier_Hunter1963

Reaction score
Hi Team,

I have always shot 110gr Black Horn 209, 250gr Barnes TEZ out of an Optima CVA. Works Great BUT I was wanting to get my great nephew involved. He is 8 and I wanted to get him started with muzzleloading!  What load of BH209 would be good for a youth/woman that won't kick but will still do the job on a whitetail?

I would appreciate any recommendations. If you have set this up...what load did you use and what range would it be good out to?

THANKS,
Hoosier

I had a CVA mountain rifle that shot a very good group with 90 gr of BH 209 and the 250 Thor tipped. That's pretty much the same as the 250 TEZ but it is a conical not a sabot. One jagged hole at 50 yards. You could start with about 80 gr. and see how the gun performs. The gun will tell you what it likes. Be careful that it doesn't hurt him. That might turn him off to the whole shooting thing and we don't want that to happen.
Glenn

Try 60-70 grains of powder and a 240-250 grain bullet.   i often hunt small game with a .50 caliber gun and 70 grains of Pyrodex or Pinnacle powder.   i've taken several big hogs with that load while hunting small game.

Fishunt said:
I had a CVA mountain rifle that shot a very good group with 90 gr of BH 209 and the 250 Thor tipped. That's pretty much the same as the 250 TEZ but it is a conical not a sabot. One jagged hole at 50 yards. You could start with about 80 gr. and see how the gun performs. The gun will tell you what it likes. Be careful that it doesn't hurt him. That might turn him off to the whole shooting thing and we don't want that to happen.
Glenn
Hardly a light load. I used that load for elk.

I had a small shooter set up with 80gr bh209 and a 260gr PT Gold. You may even consider a lighter 245gr powerbelt or even the 250gr aerolite with 60-70gr bh209.

Muley, is that REALLY you?!!

I'm using an Old Winchester APEX 45Cal. Load it with 80Gr. Pyrodex and 200Gr. XTP Crush Ribbed Sabots. The rifle its self is heavy but with this load very little kick.

Sounds crazy but I have a CVA 54Cal. Sidelock, load with 90Gr. Pyrodex, patch and Ball. Loud but little kick and will put a Deer down in its tracks.

oneshot

Back