Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bud gifted me his Omega Z5! Back in the day, we both had Z5s similarly set up, with a Leupold VX1 2x7 in Leupold QR rings ( low) and base.
The bore has a few very light pits. Frankly I've seen tool marks that were worse.
This one has about 75 rounds through it. Mine had 1600...
The trigger pull is a joy. 3 pounds and breaks like a piece of glass.
The Z5 was a great rifle. I especially like the easy to remove firing pin. No need to take the rifle to pieces to do a proper clean. I still think it was a BIG mistake for TC to scrap the Omega in favor of the Triumph. But, I wasn't consulted...

I had one of them back quite a few years ago. Good shooting gun with sabots but it hated conicals.

They can be tricky with QLA muzzles. Wads / sub bridges can be helpful though.
With loads they like, their accuracy can be spectacular. My old Z5 was the first rifle I ever shot inch or less groups at 200 yards.
If the Omega has a fault, it would be that it doesn't have a full length rammer. Not a big deal though. I believe they are better rifles than their replacements.

I really like the Omegas. I owned 3 of them back in the day. I still have one of them and it's still my "primary" muzzleloader. I wish they were still in production. I have a few muzzleloaders in my collection, but my laminated stock Omega was always the one I would reach for when it was time to go hunting, and it's the one that I've shot the most for target practice/range time. I always wanted to buy an X7 back when they were new, but it never happened.

I have a Triumph as well, and while the Triumph seems to be a little lighter and maybe slightly easier to carry than my Omega, I'm just not as fond of it as I am of the Omega. Both of them are excellent shooters though. Congrats on your Z5!

My bud gifted me his Omega Z5! Back in the day, we both had Z5s similarly set up, with a Leupold VX1 2x7 in Leupold QR rings ( low) and base.
The bore has a few very light pits. Frankly I've seen tool marks that were worse.
This one has about 75 rounds through it. Mine had 1600...
The trigger pull is a joy. 3 pounds and breaks like a piece of glass.
The Z5 was a great rifle. I especially like the easy to remove firing pin. No need to take the rifle to pieces to do a proper clean. I still think it was a BIG mistake for TC to scrap the Omega in favor of the Triumph. But, I wasn't consulted...
Oh Absofrickinlutely!

Took her to the range for a get acquainted secession. The load is my standard 70 gr of 3f Swiss, a 250 gr 45 XTP in a Harvester crush rib lit by a W209 primer.
Horizontal dispersion was very good, but she did string a bit vertically. I suspect a bit of bedding work may be in order. Also, the flame channel was fairly packed with old primer/ BH209 fouling so there was blowback through the primer. The sides were clean though.
Inspite of a good greasing, the plug was a bear to get out. Never had that issue with black before...
The lone 100 yard group was 2 3/16ths for 3 shots. The scope tracked as it should, which was very nice.
So, for not having tasted powder for 11 years I think this is a fine start. I believe we's gon' have us some fun!

The Z5 is a fantastic gun. I also believe it to be a better gun then the Triumph. Huge mistake to no longer make them. I have the Z5 and two Triumphs. I had my BP modified for LRMP. Great load 275 grn Fury crush rib 100 grns VOLUME Black Horn Federal 209A.

Back