Zero in a Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieffan

Reaction score
I read a long time ago that to zero a used scope to stand it on a piece of mirror, eye end up, in bright light, then look down through the scope and adjust the two dials till you only see one cross hair. This has worked several times for me. The last scope I bought for my inline has the tapered front or sun shield which is not removable. How does one zero in a scope with this type of front end?

Turn the turret dial as far as you can in one direction making sure to not use force. Once each click gets tougher STOP. Now go the other direction as far as possible counting total revolutions and the partial revolution. Go back the original direction 1/2 the total.

The mirror trick definitely works, however, that is also assuming that your scope mounts are perfectly aligned with the bore.

Another great trick is to take your breech plug out and line up the barrel with an object around 10 yards out, then do the same with the scope. We do this at the range when mounting scopes and switching them between guns and it works extremely well!

Back