Zero range 50 cal SST Hornady sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
I will be installing a KonusPro 550 series scope on my Thompson Center Impact tomorrow. I will be only shooting the Hornady SST low drag 250 grain, .452- 50 cal sabots (.210 (G1) .175 sectional densisty) sabots. What would be the best range to zero my rifle? 25 yards?

I like to start at 50 yards, or slightly under, larger cardboard. No sense shooting groups initially, adjust the scope on single shots. At 50 yards, on or slightly low is fine.

To get even more economy, use slightly less propellant & shoot whatever oddball bullets you have around, again, initially.

Once you get things close, should only be a handful of shots, move toward hunting bullets & full charges of powder.

Evaluate bore fit & bore cleanliness as you go, the ‘low-drag’ should slide fine. When done ring it out at expected hunting ranges, for me usually 75-100 yards.

How far are you planning to take a shot? And what is your planned powder charge?

How far are you planning to take a shot? And what is your planned powder charge?

Well, I cover a field were the deer can be anywhere from 100 to 275 yards. I plan on shooting 120, but it can shoot a maximum of 150 grains. I guess I need to zero it at 100 yards and learn the equation for different ranges. One guy stated that it doesn't matter about the weight of the bullet because all drop at the same rate, however, I just do not believe that?

I would not want to shoot that rifle with a 150gr load and a scope with 3" of eye relief. You will be in for a painful lesson. Even a 120gr load is gunna be very brisk. Aside from that few get good accuracy with loads over 120gr of any powder or pellets. FPS/FPE are meaningless if it makes a shotgun pattern on a target. Even a 120gr by volume load of BH209 is gunna peter out a lot by the time it reaches 200 yards. FPS and FPE will have dropped a great deal after 150.

If you cant practice at 150 you should not be taking shots at game at 150. Its as simple as that. Calculations and BDCs are a poor replacement for actually doing it.

I would not want to shoot that rifle with a 150gr load and a scope with 3" of eye relief. You will be in for a painful lesson. Even a 120gr load is gunna be very brisk. Aside from that few get good accuracy with loads over 120gr of any powder or pellets. FPS/FPE are meaningless if it makes a shotgun pattern on a target. Even a 120gr by volume load of BH209 is gunna peter out a lot by the time it reaches 200 yards. FPS and FPE will have dropped a great deal after 150.

If you cant practice at 150 you should not be taking shots at game at 150. Its as simple as that. Calculations and BDCs are a poor replacement for actually doing it.
Yea, I already broke my nose shooting that doe left handed with only 120 load. Is it necessary to have a chronograph?

I just received my new Impact and have it scoped now and ready to shoot as soon as I can get to the range. I will sight in at 50yds and then move to 100yds. Once I have consistent groups then go to 200yds. Bullets used will be Hornady 265gr FTX .430 in a Harvester crush rib 44/50 sabot and also the Harvester .44 cal300gr Scorpion White Lightning in the same crush rib sabot. Both bullets using 100gr-120gr measured (then weighed for consistency) Blackhorn 209 (My Impact will eat only Blackhorn to keep it clean) .Hunting will be from 25yds to 150 yds. A lot of research and study has determined these choices, I believe the Impact will be a reliable Blackhorn 250yd rifle but for now 150yds is my limit until I'm capable of more.
Look at this breech plug, it's gotta be consistent with Blackhorn. That's a full 3/8" recess, 1/8" flas channel, and a .32 flash hole.

Attachments

• PhotoCollage_20191030_114308253.jpg
    PhotoCollage_20191030_114308253.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 12
A chrono is a good idea but not a absolute must for typical shooting distances. What a bullet does once it slows can be far different than what it does on impact at say 50 yards. You may get great expansion at 50 and virtually none at 150. So FPE alone is a poor number to rely on for estimating ethical killing ability.

The Impact SB looks like a nice little rifle but its not what i would consider a longer range ML. Trying to make it into one will be more difficult but i see no reason why it wont hammer deer out to 150y or a bit more.

BTW if that scope dont workout look at the Weaver Classic V 2x10x38 on Natchez. Its about $160 for a Japanese made scope out from the Light Optical Works factory. Same place that makes Bushnell Elites and many highend scopes.

About 15 years ago a guy came into the gun shop and ordered a .50 Encore and wanted it set up to shoot dead zero @ 200 yards with 3 777 pellets (150 BP equivalent) and the 250 Shockwave. I remember that it hit right at about 4" high @ 100 yards.

When the scope he wanted came in, I set it up and took it out to the farm where the gun shop owner had a 200 yard range set up. When I got it zeroed at 200, I then shot two more that grouped 3" and I was well pleased with that.

Never heard if it all worked out...never saw the guy again after he picked up his muzzleloader.

I will be installing a KonusPro 550 series scope on my Thompson Center Impact tomorrow. I will be only shooting the Hornady SST low drag 250 grain, .452- 50 cal sabots (.210 (G1) .175 sectional density) sabots. What would be the best range to zero my rifle? 25 yards?
I shoot the same bullet and zero for 125 yards but I do it from a 50 yard range sometimes because I can see the target better at 50. I used both 100 gr pellets and 80 gr BH209. Most recently I was first time testing with BH 209. I aim at center and look for an impact point at 1.7" above zero which will result in a 125 yard zero according to the ballistics with an initial velocity of 1738 fps. Also at 175 yards the bullet drop will be about - 6.82". I shoot with a CVA Optima V2. My Optima has a KonusPro mounted on it. I like it because is stays set and the crosshairs aren't too thick besides being clear.

Here is my last try: Note the highest to holes were first shots where I overcorrected after shooting with pellets. Note the first line below the dotted line is 1 3/4" above center. The last four where all falling in good. My test with BH209 and the Hornady bullet are just what I am looking for. I can take a whitetail down with this I am sure.

20191028_130631.jpg

I will be practicing ranges from 125 to 275 this winter. Measure each distances drop, note, and create a cheat card.

Last edited:
I stopped at 100gr measured 70 gr weighed. Not much more recoil than 90gr. Gave me 1"- 1.5" groups at 100 yds.
300gr .430 /44 white lightning in green crush rib 44/50 sabot. 8pt at about 70yds coming to me, had to take a straight on front shoulder shot. Dropped, kicked a few times and done. Good thing too, the thicket to the right is almost impenetrable, I would trust out to 150 yds. Have to shoot some more distance before I would try any further.

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_080956827.jpg
    IMG_20191219_080956827.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10
Back