Zero Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVAKodiak50

Reaction score
Just curious on recommendations for zero range for a .50 with a 3-9 scope, I’ve heard 100yds from most people. I just want to be able to shoot 25-50 yards also without shooting too high but still be somewhat consistent at 100-150yards

With a new gun or scope, I sight in at 25 yards. Then move out to 50.
I'm not a long range shooter as nearly all the deer I've taken were basically in bow range.
I have taken deer out to 100 yards, maybe a touch further but those are the exceptions.

No type of projectile or charge behind it mentioned for an accurate assessment. Also scope height, as some see thru mounts are very high.
Just set up targets and shoot, keep your own records.
I was thinking similarly. Bullet, load, velocity, sights. A lot of variables for a lot of different trajectories.

No type of projectile or charge behind it mentioned for an accurate assessment. Also scope height, as some see thru mounts are very high.
Just set up targets and shoot, keep your own records.
It has high mounts without the see through. 295g powerbelt w/ 95g by vol of triple 7

If you know your load, projectile weight & BC, and velocity you can run it on many online ballistic calculators to see. Often a zero at 25 will put it on at 75 or 100 depending on the height of your optics.

It has high mounts without the see through. 295g powerbelt w/ 95g by vol of triple 7
what would be the longest shot you expect to take with that gun and load?125, 150, 175? Maybe we can figure out a close-ish trajectory. But you will still have to shoot at different distances to confirm.

Even that tipped PB is as aerodynamic as a baseball so it starts dropping quick after 150 yards. Pushing it a little faster would be better for trajectory but i wouldnt shoot that bullet, at game, much faster or past 150yds, just me tho. If you could find the 270gr PB Platinums you would have a much better bullet and better trajectory at that load.

Just curious on recommendations for zero range for a .50 with a 3-9 scope, I’ve heard 100yds from most people. I just want to be able to shoot 25-50 yards also without shooting too high but still be somewhat consistent at 100-150yards
Here's a ballistics chart and up to 200yds, it really doesn't make any significent difference what bullet you're shooting. This just happens to be a 350gr.
If you zero at 100yds, at 50yds you'll be 1/2" high. Hold dead on to 100yds.
Beyond 100, look at the drop in inches out to 200yds.

1676076519068.png

Back