That First Shot--Again?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not a proven load, nor is it a proven gun. No, i am not happy with the groups. However, keep in mind i am shooting from inside the truck, with my left elbow on the arm rest, and my right elbow in the steering wheel. Yes, i do wish i were a better shot.

Busta said:
ronlaughlin said:
....Are you indexing your sabots? That may cure the occasional flyer, but I am not sure what is going on with your diagonal stringing other that barrel heat as you said, or the rotational forces of the earth. :think:
Yes i am indexing the sabot; fired sabot show 2 land grooves on each petal. My opinion is the flyers are mostly caused by me.

Ron

I think there is a lot of people that assume you are shooting off a 'bench' with better than average rests. Many people look at your targets and assume they are off a bench.

I am not sure a lot of people do not understand you are shooting out the window of your truck. Even with the rest you have fashioned for the window I believe you get the most out of what you are doing.

I agree with Sabotloader. You shoot better than most with an improvised rest and a low powered scope. I applaud you and your marksmanship.

RevHunter1 said:
I agree with Sabotloader. You shoot better than most with an improvised rest and a low powered scope. I applaud you and your marksmanship.

If he keeps continuing to shoot inside that car, one day he wont hear you applaud him anymore. :lol:

Again

IMG_0026.JPG

sabotloader said:
Ron

I think there is a lot of people that assume you are shooting off a 'bench' with better than average rests. Many people look at your targets and assume they are off a bench.

I am not sure a lot of people do not understand you are shooting out the window of your truck. Even with the rest you have fashioned for the window I believe you get the most out of what you are doing.
I completely agree. I think Ron's shooting is great from the way he does it. I am not sure I could group as good as he does shooting that way, especially at the long ranges he shoots.

In this weather I would love to be able to try that too. My Club however has cameras on the range, they would take my keys and membership card and show me out! :wink: :lol:

Do you live near me? I think I've seen with the barrel sticking out the driver side window - of course the barrel was a little hard to see as the headlights were shining on all the deer in the field..

If the window had a home made rest fitted to the down door window, it may have been me, if the rifle wasn't aimed at deer, and if it happened during daylight hours, and if you live near me; i never travel far from home, except when i do.

No doubt you are dedicated to get some shooting in. Your weather must be dictating your most unique shooting position? That being said, I'm almost afraid to ask - how do you reload?

Yes, the weather is in charge. It hasn't been below zero yet this year, if i remember correctly, but i did shoot my rifle several times in below zero weather last year, in December. This week has warmed to the point where i probably should have tried shooting from the bench, but i was too lazy to make the switch, because it is turning cold this week end, and into next week. Am not positive, but i believe i have shot about 20 times so far in 2015, and it is the warm cab of the truck, and not having to set up a bench in the snow, that makes it possible.

Reloading is simple, and easy. The butt is on the floor close to the gas pedal, and the end of the barrel is right in front of me. It is easy to empty the vial down the barrel, and it is easy to index the sabot. The range rod is cut short, so it can be easily manipulated inside the truck. Bolt actions, because of their length are more difficult to load, but that too, is manageable. Every thing is done from the driver' seat, except when i need to leak.

When it is really really cold, the heater is run between shots, but most times that isn't necessary. When it is cold, it is simple to keep the barrel from overheating, by just laying the rifle on the window rest, and steering column.

To me, it seems like shooting like this is better practice for hunting, because one must hold the rifle on the target. The rest, doesn't hold the rifle in place, like a shooting rest and/or bags do on a bench. When hunting i always try to find some sort of rest when i am getting ready to take a shot, and even though holding a rifle on a tree branch, or a bipod, is a way better than shooting free hand, it is still more shaky than it would be if things were perfect.

Ron, you've always impressed the heck out of me with your shooting. I still love that jug shot at 1/4 mile. I aspire to be half as good as you someday... :yeah:

52Bore said:
No doubt you are dedicated to get some shooting in. Your weather must be dictating your most unique shooting position? That being said, I'm almost afraid to ask - how do you reload?

He shoots from the front seat and reloads from under the hood....... engine off, but the radio still on....lol :wink:

Again, but Further

On top of the ridge out in the bald hills, it was 30*, and the air was almost perfectly still. Seemed it was a good morning to try, and shoot 200 yard. As before, the first shot is taken from a shiny, cold, clean barrel.

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

Nice shooting Ron! Was the First shot the one at the far left or the one that is high. Per your previous targets I am guessing the one on the left.

Anyway you look at it 5 critters would have not walked away from that. :yeah:

Primer Switch

Used W209 primer today. First 5 shots at top target. Next 10 shots at lower target, after elevation adjustment. First shot from cold, shiny, clean barrel. Damp dark chilly cold morning @ 22 degree. Once again the eighth shot was an unexplained flier?

IMG_0071.JPG

Back