zero distance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the weapon. All three of my ML are sighted for 100 yds. , however I know the drop for the 45 and the 50 the 54 not so much I did not intend for it to be a long range weapon. My CF's on the other hand 200 yd. zero all day.

I zero at 100 yds. most of the time, especially with bullet weights around 250 gr. If it is 300 gr or more and I am setting the gun up to go farther then I go 2" high at 100.

Depends on the muzzleloader and load i'm using but I usually sight in 3 to 3 1/2 inches high at 100 yards. That way i'm good from 0 to 175 yards.

2 inches high at 50yds and 3 inches low at 100, 480- 490 lead conicals, most if not all my shots are gonna be around 50-75yds. where I hunt on private lands. I used to zero at 1" high at 100 and was shooting over them or hitting high.

I have for years sighted mine in 1" high at 50 yards which would put me pretty close to zero at 100. I changed that this year because I hardly ever, if ever, got a 100 yard shot here in middle Tennessee. Pretty much all of my shots were inside 75 yards with the majority being 50 yards or less. I kept hitting them high but it killed deer. I shot a nice 8 point opening day of muzzleloader this year at 40 yards and broke it's spine which incapacitated him. I had to do a follow up shot to put him down.

So...after many years of hitting them high I now zero my MLs at 50 yards which puts me about 2" low at 100. This allows me to aim just behind the shoulder in a 6" circle and hit all the way out to 150 yards.

babybutterfly \\I have for years now especially with a ML used a system called Point Blank Range (PBR). For a muzzleloader I use a 6" PBR, meaning through a given range the bullet will never be more than 3" high or 3" low while sighting dead on or Point of Aim (POA).

Point-blank range is the distance between a weapon and a target of a given size its projectile is expected to strike without adjusting the weapon's elevation. Point-blank range will vary by a weapon's external ballistics characteristics and target chosen. A weapon with a flatter trajectory will permit a longer maximum point-blank range for a given target size, while a larger target will allow a longer point-blank range for a given weapon.

Here is a calculator I just found on the net..

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/point-blank-range.php

In my case that means most of rifle will be about 3" high @ 100 and 3" low @ 175 to 90 depending on weight of bullet and powder charge or velocity. This little thing allows me to shoot 0 to 200 without much thought or scope adjusting.

This is a typical ballistic sheet on one of my loads with the PBR built in..

The chart shows my actual zero range is 160 yards and I can shoot to 196 yards and be 3" LOW

Hope this makes some sense...

I quit fighting gravity and estimating years ago. I agree with someone who posted 'put your money in a good quality scope'. Get one and practice and you'll have a zero at every distance..
Personally, I've always liked Leupold and found their Leupold AR 3-9x (#115389) to hold up to recoil and repeat for around $300, a few $ more for a mil-dot version.; get a custom turret for $59 and you will not regret. Or, for a similar price range in 30mm, try a SWFA fixed power.

100yard zero, my shots go from 25, 50 to 150yards. Either way "if" I'm doing my part its dead.

I found that a 131 yard zero worked pretty well with the subtends on my 3-9 Swarovski. But I sold it in favor of a Zeiss 2-8 and hope to have it retrofitted with a target turret. I'll have to see what works out.

I much prefer the Point black because it works in the moment of truth. Picture this 7 am you are on your stand. you see a buck walk past in the fog How far??? you have seconds to shoot before the buck is gone......... well do I aim high or behind the shoulder or..... with the point blank method you are good to go.
martin loader

My 63 year-old eyes are trying 100 yard open sights next week with my Knight Vision. My 12 X 18 glow shot targets just arrived from Fed Ex. Now I'm hoping my inexpensive binoculars can dial those splatter holes in view. I will hang two targets at a time initially.

TripleSe7en said:
My 63 year-old eyes are trying 100 yard open sights next week with my Knight Vision. My 12 X 18 glow shot targets just arrived from Fed Ex. Now I'm hoping my inexpensive binoculars can dial those splatter holes in view. I will hang two targets at a time initially.
I wish you luck!! My 63 year old eyes wouldn't make it now with open sights at 100 yds. They made scopes for us older hunters didn't they? :wink:

toytruck said:
TripleSe7en said:
I wish you luck!! My 63 year old eyes wouldn't make it now with open sights at 100 yds. They made scopes for us older hunters didn't they? :wink:

Nah! Old guys don't need scopes. We just get closer. ;)

I usually sight in for dead nuts on @ 50 yards. Here in Michigan, I hunt the dense woods and swamps. Most shots are less than 50 yards. I have also found that with 30gr and a round ball, my CVA Optima is still sighted in @ 30 yards for rabbit hunting.

Back