zero distance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First "mag" MLs i remember are from around 2002-2003 but there may have been some earlier ones. Triple7 was announced or released around 2002. T7 pellets came out about a year later. Hodgdon does mention the larger loads in the Firestar pdf file but clearly states its from the manufactures not them.

so the recommended charge weight by Hodgdon Powder Company is, therefore, three (3) FireStarPellets.

For most of use the 50fps gain over the old 2 pellet loads is meaningless. It wont produce hardly any worthwhile gain but cost way more per shot. Pretty sure even 2 of the mag pellets would be slightly cheaper to shoot and faster. You will get about 100fps increase from the mags vs 2 of the regular pellets. Its like i said...more of the same propellant by weight is producing more speed. The mag pellets are around 37gr each. 60ish vs 72ish vs 74ish actual amounts of powder. Equivalent IMO went out the door after Pyrodex. Anything that came after makes more speed and/or more peak pressure.

I'm gonna stop out on a limb here. You're getting advice from some of the best in this site. And some of the best shooters in the country here. (Not me)
If you're wanting a dedicated what we called in Ga a beanfield rifle you'll have to up your game and take your time. Probably go with a fast twist 45. And precision long range bullets. And a quality range compensating/reticle scope. You'll want a lot of practice and consistency so weighed charges of Blackhorn 209 will help you out there, less cleaning between shots. That's what I advise, short answer 100 yds with the following minimum or a custom rifle.
CVA Accura V2 LR .45 Caliber - PR3132NM
Nikon PROSTAFF P3 MUZZLELOADER 3-9x40 BDC 300.
Examples: precision, Parker,extreme, pittman, long range bullets
The Paramount is also an option but from what I've read needs some modifications.

Attachments

• teaserbox_901688101.jpeg
    teaserbox_901688101.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 3
I'm gonna stop out on a limb here. You're getting advice from some of the best in this site. And some of the best shooters in the country here. (Not me)
If you're wanting a dedicated what we called in Ga a beanfield rifle you'll have to up your game and take your time. Probably go with a fast twist 45. And precision long range bullets. And a quality range compensating/reticle scope. You'll want a lot of practice and consistency so weighed charges of Blackhorn 209 will help you out there, less cleaning between shots. That's what I advise, short answer 100 yds with the following minimum or a custom rifle.
CVA Accura V2 LR .45 Caliber - PR3132NM
Nikon PROSTAFF P3 MUZZLELOADER 3-9x40 BDC 300.
Examples: precision, Parker,extreme, pittman, long range bullets
The Paramount is also an option but from what I've read needs some modifications.
You got it

When I just want to check my zero I'll do it at 25 yards. If you want to try it at 25 yards your bullet hole should be in the bottom of a 2 inch circle when aiming at center. Works for me, I usually practice at 100 yards. Shooting from all positions including out of the seat of my ground blind.

Everyone have fun and be safe this hunting season.

45-70 asked why not just use the knobs to adjust for range. Seemed like a good idea, so I bought a Leupold with the dial. Problem is, it adjusts itself while I'm hunting. I missed an ibex because of it. Send me a PM if you'd like to try mine. Plus, it is just one more thing to have to do before taking a shot. If I know where to aim for any range I"m going to shoot at, the dial just complicates things. My point blank range on an elk is around 190 yards, so usually I can just aim and shoot. With ballistic calculators, it is pretty easy to figure out point blank range.

I would sight your ML at the ranges you typically can shoot your deer at. Where I live in PA 100 yds is a long shot. So I sight my rifles in at 75yds as most of my shots are at that range or under. No matter where you sight your ML at, always shoot at a target say at various ranges e.g. 50 or 100 yds to know where your bullet/load will hit.

45-70 asked why not just use the knobs to adjust for range. Seemed like a good idea, so I bought a Leupold with the dial. Problem is, it adjusts itself while I'm hunting. I missed an ibex because of it. Send me a PM if you'd like to try mine. Plus, it is just one more thing to have to do before taking a shot. If I know where to aim for any range I"m going to shoot at, the dial just complicates things. My point blank range on an elk is around 190 yards, so usually I can just aim and shoot. With ballistic calculators, it is pretty easy to figure out point blank range.
that is a good trick adjusts itself , i use a cell phone program in my phone , range , dail scope in moa and kill deer. didn't know it was that hard

that is a good trick adjusts itself , i use a cell phone program in my phone , range , dial scope in moa and kill deer. didn't know it was that hard
like to watch you shot 300, 250 yds sometime

Read the explanation of point blank up in the permanent notes at the top of the page, it is the most range effective way to sight in for hunting.

For my CVA Optima V2 I zero at 125 yards. The reason why I looked at the ballistics chart (below) and it seem to be the best options due to the bullet trajectory for me.

Notice at the 50 yard range the bullet is just under 2" high on its way up the arc of travel path. That is convenient which allow me to cheat a bit so I can use 50 yards if I wish for quick check or even zero. A 125 yard zero also helps with distances out to 175 yard range because the drop at -7.25" means aiming near the top of the shoulder on a deer should delivery a kill shot.

The 10 mph wind impact is also shown here which makes cheat sheet valuable.

20171126_095817.jpg

When i hunted in my big comfy elevated shooting "tree house" i would sight in close the the longest shot i could ethically take. Then i would shoot at a few of the other crossing points to verify point of impact. Things change a good amount when shooting alot more down or up than at a level shooting range. If a shot was too much past my comfort zone i simply pass on the shot. Deer wins and i go home with tag soup.

the man said it , i'm getting a headache. What happens if you have to shoot up or down hill using point blank for hunting?

Shooting up or down at steep angles, your bullet will impact higher. So you aim lower.

Less influence from gravity, since the bullet travels less distance horizontally, even though the line of sight distance could actually be further.

Pays to have a range finder with true ballistic range triangulation if hunting in steep terrain.

Last edited:
Back