how much powder (UPDATE)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtalker

Reaction score
I was shootn triple7 pellets but decided to try some blackhorn 209. I've been shootn 2 50 grain pellets with a 185 grain c.o.p. .45 caliber bullet that will absolutely drive a nail out of my cva .50 cal. wolf. What powder load with the blackhorn 209 will get me close to the results i'm gettn with the triple7 pellets. I was goin to start out with around 85-90 grains and see what happens.

Re: how much powder

I agree with Muley. My Optima likes 90 grains of BH, Very accurate.

Please keep us/me updated on your results at 100 yards or even 150 yards. Here's hoping that your all copper lightweight bullet refrains from going sideways into paper targets for you, while using a slower igniting powder like Blackhorn. I use 200 gr. copper-clad and 180 gr. all lead bullets BTW, with 90 gr. volume Blackhorn. Went to 90 grains for 150 yard targets, but all I needed for 100 yards was 80 grains Blackhorn.

One other note stringtalker...

Have you ever considered purchasing the 225 grain 44 cal all copper version?..............
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...oint-lead-free-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I've had my eye on purchasing those, but can't seem to find anyone using them on ML messageboards or in bullet reviews.

Hey triplese7en, I have thought about using those 225 grain bullets, but the 185's have performed so good for me that I just haven't tried them. I've killed two deer with the 185's and the bullet performed great, a doe at 75 yards and a 8 point at 25 yards, the bullet did an amazing job on both deer

Caution should be used if shooting BH209 out of a Plunger style gun. CVA Wolf you say? Is that a plunger gun or BH safe?

Wolf is a break open action like the rest of the CVA inlines.

I bought another breechplug that is for blackhorn, so no worries

I haven't been able to shoot yet due to back surgery, but will update when I do shoot. Back surgery sucks by the way....

Well I finally got out this morning to try the blackhorn 209. It shoots great. I used 90 grains of powder with a 185 grain C.O.P. Bullet and a short black harvester sabot. I shot at 50 and 75 yards, no need to try longer distances for where I live I rarely shoot past 50 yards. I shot 4 shots at 50 yards 3 of those all touching, the forth shot was a flyer, shooter error, lol. I just shot once at 75 just to see how it did. I tried to post pics of the targets but it keeps saying to large

Latest posts

Back