Best cartridge rifle? Make? Model? Caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to hand load, and want good rifle to plink with it out to 300, there are tons of great cartridges.

But the best weighed by dollars paid vs performance out... That you can also hunt most anything in north America with would be: .308 Winchester

Ton's of other flatter shooters with more sexy press lately... Or more powerful... But you just can't beat the affordability of the 308 vs performance. If I owned one rifle only (and could hunt with bottle neck cartridges) it would be a 308.

If you just want the hottest flashy new thing... That is a whole other problem.

If you said that you wanted a great lightweight hunting rifle and hand load: any light weight modern bolt gun in 280 Ackly improved (280ai) would be my choice. I have a light weight stainless Ruger 77mkII in 280 with the black 'boat paddle' stock that shoots sub 1/2 moa. I love it. I would only tease it for a similar rifle in 280ai.

If you don't hand load... Probably the same rifle but in 7mm rem mag as you can probably get ammo any where.

As for scopes... Good old Leopolds have been more than enough for me to hunt with.

But target shooting at distance absorbs and radiates all sorts of expensive preferences.
Yes. I plan to handload. I have most of everything except powder. A freind just scored 500 large rifle primers. BUT, most of my firearms are european and may have different primers. Berdan and Boxer?

I have
9.3x74R
9.2x72R
8x57R
7x65R

Remember the old saying "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go" Accuracy cost money as well.

Yes. I plan to handload. I have most of everything except powder. A freind just scored 500 large rifle primers. BUT, most of my firearms are european and may have different primers. Berdan and Boxer?

I have
9.3x74R
9.2x72R
8x57R
7x65R
Boxer vs Berdan describes how the primer AND flash hole(s) in the brass are designed

The Boxer is "normal" and what is commonly reloaded

Some ammo, mostly military but even some new commercial imports use Berdan which uses a two flash hole system

Needless to say accidentally trying to deprime a Berdan case is a good way to bend/break a decapping pin or rod :)

While Berdan is reloadable it requires special equipment and is generally not worth even considering

One other thing - look at your component cost

If you shoot as much as I do going from 270 to 308 or 223 will save you lots

I never leave the club range I use without 20-200 new pieces of good once fired brass (PMC). I see maybe a boxes worth each of other common calibers per year ...

Bullets are cheaper (10-19c/ea for 223, 30-50 ea for 308) and there is much more variety of weights and styles

Then consider powder amount per round or rounds per pound. With 223 I can get at least 275 rounds per pound of powder 24.5gr is my biggest charge and it moves a 69gr bthp at 3100fps.. my smallest charge is 18gr which is almost 400 rounds per pound. Your average 308 or 30-06 case based hunting round will be burning thru 45+ grains per charge so a max of 150 or so rounds per pound....

In short, spend the $ on a 223 bolt gun ;)

I think my .270 is good enough for me. It has a Nikon scope and I'll do some practice time.
Maybe I'm a little slow, but your OP said you wanted to GET a target rifle and you listed a price range.

Yet you keep bringing up a .270 that you already have and that the .270 will suit you just fine.

Which is it. You're sitting pat with your .270 or you want another rifle that will be used as a target rifle?

My Choice is a Tikka T3 Roughtech Or Bergara Wilderness Ridge. Calibers If your looking for accuracy, My choices .308 Win. or 6.5 Creedmoor, both are good distance shooters & tack drivers! Also very little recoil which helps in staying on target & comfort in shooting! Just My 2 Cents! I own both the actions are very smooth & cost is about $1000.00 for either one. Then you have some money for good glass !

Last edited:
I have reloaded Berdan primer brass before. I still have some old tins of Berdan primers too. I have not needed to do so in a long time though. Since we can get boxer primed brass it negates any need for them. What I hated was there as like 20 different size Berdan primers. Just to drive you crazy trying to find the right ones to buy. But you had to order from Europe as importers were pretty much out of the picture. But postal regulations killed that on us. The last was getting Berdan primers from Russia and that is a dead end now too.
I guess we would have to make our own Berdan primers. Which might not be bad as you don’t need to find or make the tiny anvils for boxer primers.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but your OP said you wanted to GET a target rifle and you listed a price range.

Yet you keep bringing up a .270 that you already have and that the .270 will suit you just fine.

Which is it. You're sitting pat with your .270 or you want another rifle that will be used as a target rifle?
I forgot I had the .270 and planning to make it my target/hunting gun. I bought it about 22 years ago unfired. Lubed it for storage and was in the very back of an old gun safe. Temp and humidity controlled. Still look perfect. I bought two boxes of ammo and going to try it out, soon.

Nobody mentioned this scope in the OP. Looks interesting. What do you think?
https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-5-d...rica+eBlast+APR&utm_id=GunsAmerica+eBlast+APR

I forgot I had the .270 and planning to make it my target/hunting gun. I bought it about 22 years ago unfired. Lubed it for storage and was in the very back of an old gun safe. Temp and humidity controlled. Still look perfect. I bought two boxes of ammo and going to try it out, soon.

Nobody mentioned this scope in the OP. Looks interesting. What do you think?
https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-5-d...rica+eBlast+APR&utm_id=GunsAmerica+eBlast+APR

Saw a guy at the range trying to sight one in at 25 yards and he couldnt get it even on the 2'x4' backing cardboard

To be fair to the scope he was a 5 foot tall 500lb tub of lard who based on his gun handling and attitude towards the designated rso at the time (me) probably shouldnt have been allowed to own a gun

He did leave me some very nice nickle plated once fired 300 win mag cases though ...

@Marplot another option could be a good 22lr set up. Easy to buy a CZ or Savage bolt gun (don't get teh F stock on the Savage, do get the heavy barrel - I prefer the BTV style..), put a Mueller 8-32 scope on it w/ target dot or mildot, and shoot MOA or better with CCI SV or SK Standard, SK Rifle Match, etc. ($4-9/per 50)

For what you'll spend on a center fire rifle you can get set up for rimfire AND get 1k rounds of *good* ammo. For the same investment, you'll be a much better shooter if you do a good job of shooting up that 1k rounds....

@Marplot another option could be a good 22lr set up. Easy to buy a CZ or Savage bolt gun (don't get teh F stock on the Savage, do get the heavy barrel - I prefer the BTV style..), put a Mueller 8-32 scope on it w/ target dot or mildot, and shoot MOA or better with CCI SV or SK Standard, SK Rifle Match, etc. ($4-9/per 50)

For what you'll spend on a center fire rifle you can get set up for rimfire AND get 1k rounds of *good* ammo. For the same investment, you'll be a much better shooter if you do a good job of shooting up that 1k rounds....
I just got a 10/22 Ruger, Laminated stock, hammer forged heavy barrel (I just cleaned up the frosting).

It has a cheap scope Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40 scope and replace it with a Mueller.

Mildot or Target dot? Does it have a red dot? I like a red dot. I might use it for plinking.
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Optics-8-32x44-Focus-Scopes/dp/B004689ZWQ?th=1

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-18 115423.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-18 115423.png
    782.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I just got a 10/22 Ruger, Laminated stock, hammer forged heavy barrel (I just cleaned up the frosting).

It has a cheap scope Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40 scope and replace it with a Mueller.

Mildot or Target dot? Does it have a red dot? I like a red dot. I might use it for plinking.
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Optics-8-32x44-Focus-Scopes/dp/B004689ZWQ?th=1

My Meuller is the 1/8moa target dot

Send yer 10/22 trigger to Brimstone or get a Kidd drop in unit, put a decent scope with AO on it and you should be rockin

It seems to be a common issue with newbies. They seem to always gravitate to the 300 Win Mag rifles. Then after one box of ammo they quickly trade it in for something with less kick.
Ill play the devils advocate here.

Like myself maybe a lot of these newbies had no one to teach them. My father was not interested in hunting at all and my only brother wasn't interested in me at all. I struggled and stumbled with all kinds problems with any kind of gun. When going to buy my first rifle I was interested in the 338 Win Mag. No idea about killing power, accuracy, appropriate caliber for the game hunted, recoil, etc.. The ballistic information said I could own the world with this powerful gun. I think back that if I would have had someone to be my mentor that would have been so good. Then I started falling in with other hunters, reading, shooting, and things started to jell. Its amazing I kept with it and didn't just move on to other stuff. No internet to look to back then either. It was as a slow bumpy road for me. But glad I did it.

This is excellent advice. Trouble is you need to have the advice available to you (or them or him) Its pretty hard nowadays to not be able to get information. If you can afford a 300 win mag you probably have access to a computer and internet somewhere. Even the local library. Perhaps you could direct him to another shooter to help him with his problem or even make arrangements to help him at a latter time. We need all the same minded gun owners we can get. Hope he doesn't flip to "the other side"

Like myself maybe a lot of these newbies had no one to teach them. My father was not interested in hunting at all and my only brother wasn't interested in me at all. I struggled and stumbled with all kinds problems with any kind of gun. When going to buy my first rifle I was interested in the 338 Win Mag. No idea about killing power, accuracy, appropriate caliber for the game hunted, recoil, etc.. The ballistic information said I could own the world with this powerful gun. I think back that if I would have had someone to be my mentor that would have been so good. Then I started falling in with other hunters, reading, shooting, and things started to jell. Its amazing I kept with it and didn't just move on to other stuff. No internet to look to back then either. It was as a slow bumpy road for me. But glad I did it.

This is excellent advice. Trouble is you need to have the advice available to you (or them or him) Its pretty hard nowadays to not be able to get information. If you can afford a 300 win mag you probably have access to a computer and internet somewhere. Even the local library. Perhaps you could direct him to another shooter to help him with his problem or even make arrangements to help him at a latter time. We need all the same minded gun owners we can get. Hope he doesn't flip to "the other side"

Guess I was lucky or unlucky.... wasn't allowed to own a gun other than an air rifle growing up. Compensated by reading everything I could get my hands on - monthly magazines, books, etc. as well as the archive of National Rifleman and American Hunter (the NRA mags) at the local university library (and a few years later, their same bound in leather collections of playboy and penthouse....)

When I finally did get to start pulling the trigger on a rimfire rifle, it was via a camp by the Boy Scouts and the US Olympic association as an "intro to 4 position rifle shooting" camp, where I learned how to shoot from a crusty old fresh out of the Corps Marine gunny..... and here I am 40 years later doing the "over the leather and under the wood" song in my head when I sling up, and when I'm the acting RSO people think I served in the Corps due to the range commands I use... :)

If I was put in a position by a stranger across the country (as Marplot is for most/all of us), and asked by them how to learn how to shoot.... I'd stand by my recommendation of a good 22 rifle, and then I'd add on the recommendation of finding a local-to-them Appleseed shoot. Or even traveling a day or two to attend one.

Good points.
I think it is more of a spur of the moment kind of thing. The fellow goes into a big gun store and is overwhelmed and in awe of all the different kinds of guns etc. a wow!!! Kind of thing. Anyway they get involved with a sales clerk at the store and although many are good there are those who want sell no matter what. Then sometimes that macho “I am Rambo” kind of feeling kicks in too. That’s a feeling a lot of us still get even after being involved with guns for ages. Kids in a candy store.

Just as an FYI, there are phone stands and Bluetooth remotes that make taking selfie glamour shots so much easier.

I think it is more of a spur of the moment kind of thing. The fellow goes into a big gun store and is overwhelmed and in awe of all the different kinds of guns etc. a wow!!! Kind of thing. Anyway they get involved with a sales clerk at the store and although many are good there are those who want sell no matter what. Then sometimes that macho “I am Rambo” kind of feeling kicks in too. That’s a feeling a lot of us still get even after being involved with guns for ages. Kids in a candy store.
:D Excellent points. The sales clerk may have guns that have been in inventory too long. Yep, many factors go into a newbie purchase. Probably most are not in his or her interest.

Back