Ramrod/aligner question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nodoz

Reaction score
I have a question about aligners that you can buy. I plan on buying barnes bullets with poly tips. I want to get a aligner to push the bullets down the barrel with. I understand the aligners screw on the ramrod. My question is do I need to take the aligner off everytime before putting my ramrod back in its place on gun where it gets stored or will in slide in with the ramrod? Seems like kind of a pain and slow if I need a reload some what fast.

IMG_1863.JPG

The photo shows my rifle with a jag attached to the end of the ramrod mounted in the thimble. This is one way to deal with the issue. What i did was cut the ramrod off and drill and tap the cut end there for the 'spinjag'.

Ron mentioned the SpinJag, they are great and will solve your problem. You can also keep a short loading tip in your ramrod if you choose, sticking out past your barrel slightly. It won't affect anything really. I have a friend that does that, his sticks out about 3/4" past the end. Just gets some powder burns. I personally like the SpinJag too. a better solution and cleaner look. Plus you have a great cleaning jag as well. :yeah:

WV Hunter said:
Ron mentioned the SpinJag, they are great and will solve your problem. You can also keep a short loading tip in your ramrod if you choose, sticking out past your barrel slightly. It won't affect anything really. I have a friend that does that, his sticks out about 3/4" past the end. Just gets some powder burns. I personally like the SpinJag too. a better solution and cleaner look. Plus you have a great cleaning jag as well. :yeah:

Yeah I seen a few like that so Im going to try it out. Thanks for the reply

The Barnes tip are good but they are a "Loading" tip, I use a couple. They fit closer to bore size so you can't put a patch on them to swab with, so if you need to swab between shots you would need to remove it. Spin jag makes both types, loading and a combo load/cleaning. I am pretty sure the one Ron shows is also a cleaning type jag so no need to remove it to swab. If you are shooting BH 209 powder then the you don't need to swab so either type will work.

Nodoz said:
WV Hunter said:

Yeah I seen a few like that so Im going to try it out. Thanks for the reply

I would suggest to get the Original Spin Jag instead of the Spin Jag Loader. The Original jag is great for loading all shapes of bullet but also add the ability to hold a patch up and down the bore.

billboard_sj.jpg

http://spinjag.com/spinjag_original.php

I also order a TC Lightweight Rugged Rod

31009139-529x81.jpg

http://accessories.tcarms.com/product/u ... ht-ramrod/

Then you can cut to the proper length to fit your application with the Spin Jag installed.

If you look closely you can see the rod and jag in this picture. The difference this jag is the TC Brass Super Jag which really work well on a gun rod.

This is a better pic of the TC Extended Jag.... just follow this link - they also offer a plastic one like this but I would pass on that one.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... s?a=434700

I shoot the Barnes 290gr TEZ and have the Barnes aligning tool for it. I recently bought this gonna try it with the Barnes aligning tool.

Latest posts

Back