Flintlock Lock Fly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and I need a little advise about flintlock parts (fly). I believe in my Traditions Lock that the small half moon piece with a pin in it is called the fly. After cleaning this used lock that I just purchased and after putting it back together I find that the fly keeps blocking the hammer from moving to full cock and stay there.The fly moves freely so I am not sure of the problem.
Thanks in advance.

I really hate messing with the back side of a lock. Whether its a flintlock or percussion. I am not sure how to answer your question but I would suggest call Traditions Customer Service. They will put you with a technician and he can talk you through the problems or he might recommend you send it to them. But either way, you are sure you will get the thing fixed.

Thanks for the info, I loosened the screws holding the bridle and it works fine. Now I may have to shim something so I can tighten the screws and keep it working.
It would be nice to purchase a book that shows different kinds of locks and disassembled pictures also.
I love to disassemble these locks and clean them up, make sure the frizzen (sic) is seating on the flash hole pan so no light shines through.
And I also need to learn how to make a piece of metal into spring metal.

I had to loosen the lock screws on a couple of my rifles. Old age showing, never thought to mention that. Even my custom flintlock I had to loose the screw 1/3 of a turn. I am glad to see someone is willing to monkey with them. It seems when I try that I end up breaking something.

watersteps said:
It would be nice to purchase a book that shows different kinds of locks and disassembled pictures also.

Not sure about a book, but Wolverhampton was lock making mecca -not just gun lock. There used to be a website dedicated to their gunlock making. Also, search Joseph Brazier.

Latest posts

Back