CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Another Hello from Idaho

Please tell us about yourself

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Idaholewis
Veteran
Veteran

Another Hello from Idaho

Postby Idaholewis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Hello everyone, i guess I should have done this before i started posting. My name is Lewis, i am totally addicted to Front Stuffers! TC's being my weakness. I own a Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal 1:32" twist, Great rifle! But stil takes a backseat to my TC's, i am a dedicated paper patched bullet shooter (no greasy fingers here!)

My journey into this Muzzleloader stuff started with a little TC New Englander .54 Cal rifle that my dad gave me, when he gave it to me i was grateful, but also had HIGH doubts that i would ever mess with it? It sat in my closet propped up in a corner for several months, one miserable cold winter day i got bored enough to grab that little gun and go try it, i shot it a couple of times and realized it was getting harder to load? (Now remember this is the very first time i had ever shot a Muzzleloader, i knew NOTHING about them) I decided to try and run a dry patch down the barrel and hopefully clear the fouling? i ALMOST got the Ramrod stuck, but i had a rubber palmed glove in my floorboard and that gave me just enough grip to grab the ramrod better and pull harder, I GOT IT OUT! I loaded it back up and shot again, i tried the dry patch again and that time it was STUCK BAD, no budging it, I headed home with a stuck ramrod! I knew i had to clean the rifle so i poured a bit of water down and let it sit a minute or 2 and was able to pull the ramrod, I proceeded to clean the rifle to the best of my knowledge, once clean, dried, and oiled up good i was pretty sure that was the last time that little rifle would ever see outside of my closet again!!

But Me being me, i sat and stewed on it, i kept thinking to myself How do people shoot these darn things at Rendezvous, etc. more than a few times without having to strip the gun down and clean?? I became interested to learn, i started reading everything i could find on the internet, and watching YouTube videos, This is where i found a guy by the name of Idahoron, i watched every YouTube video he had, in one of his videos i watched him shoot out to 300 Yards with a TC Hawken he called the 'Hotrod Hawken' that rifle became an OBSESSION of mine, I WANTED ONE!!! I watched Ron swab between shots, etc. How he cleaned his rifle, etc. I made up my mind i HAD TO TALK TO THIS GUY and see if he would share more info on his setup? We emailed a few times, then i called him, we visited for quite awhile on the phone and Ron shared everything about his set ups with me. I was very grateful for all of Ron's help, and advise in getting me going, since we both live in Idaho i offered him a trip to come hunt Whitetail deer with me, Ron made that trip and killed his first Whitetail buck with me watching him do it!! I got to shoot the infamous 'Hotrod Hawken' Ron is a like Brother to me, one of my very best friends! I ended up building my own 'Hotrod Hawken' and a few 'Hotrod Renegades' i have a wall standing full of Muzzleloaders! LOL, When i get in to something I usually go all out, And These old Muzzleloaders is one of them things! Here is a picture of me with Ron's 'Hotrod Hawken' when he came up on his Whitetail hunt with me, The rifle that started my obsession

IMG_467.jpg
“Only accurate rifles are interesting” Col. Townsend Whelen

herschel conyers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Another Hello from Idaho

Postby herschel conyers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 am

Welcome from central Indiana. I enjoyed reading your introduction very much. Your a blessed man to have Idahoron as a friend.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
HC

idahoron
Veteran
Veteran

Postby idahoron » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:18 am

I have been kind of off the reservation so to speak with forums lately.
Good to see you here my friend.

ShawnT
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ShawnT » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Lewis, Great to have you here. Yup that Ml bug bit you good and hard! :wink: I chatted quite a bit a while back with Ron about Casting my own bullets. He is definitely a great guy to work with! :yeah:
ShawnT

NRA and NAHC Life Member
Knight Ultra Light 50 Cal
Knight .54 cal MK-95 Magnum Elite Stainless Camo
2 Knight 50 cal MK-95 Magnum Elites Stainless Black
Knight KRB7 Blue/Black 50 cal.
Knight MK-85 Stalker Blue/Black .54 cal
Knight LK-93 .36 cal. Blue Black
Ridgerunner Inline.32 cal

dave19113
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dave19113 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi

Welcome from VA :D :D
Freedom is not Free

CVA Optima 50 Cal - Redfield Revolution 2-7

CVA Wolf 50 cal - Weaver 2.5-10

Knight Mountaineer 50 cal - forest green laminate - Leupold 3x9

Knight Mountaineer 50 cal synthetic camo - Redfield Revolution 3x9

CVA Accura 50 cal Redfield Revolution 2x7

Tannhauser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tannhauser » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Idaholewis wrote:Hello everyone, i guess I should have done this before i started posting. My name is Lewis, i am totally addicted to Front Stuffers! TC's being my weakness. I own a Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal 1:32" twist, Great rifle! But stil takes a backseat to my TC's, i am a dedicated paper patched bullet shooter (no greasy fingers here!)

My journey into this Muzzleloader stuff started with a little TC New Englander .54 Cal rifle that my dad gave me, when he gave it to me i was grateful, but also had HIGH doubts that i would ever mess with it? It sat in my closet propped up in a corner for several months, one miserable cold winter day i got bored enough to grab that little gun and go try it, i shot it a couple of times and realized it was getting harder to load? (Now remember this is the very first time i had ever shot a Muzzleloader, i knew NOTHING about them) I decided to try and run a dry patch down the barrel and hopefully clear the fouling? i ALMOST got the Ramrod stuck, but i had a rubber palmed glove in my floorboard and that gave me just enough grip to grab the ramrod better and pull harder, I GOT IT OUT! I loaded it back up and shot again, i tried the dry patch again and that time it was STUCK BAD, no budging it, I headed home with a stuck ramrod! I knew i had to clean the rifle so i poured a bit of water down and let it sit a minute or 2 and was able to pull the ramrod, I proceeded to clean the rifle to the best of my knowledge, once clean, dried, and oiled up good i was pretty sure that was the last time that little rifle would ever see outside of my closet again!!

But Me being me, i sat and stewed on it, i kept thinking to myself How do people shoot these darn things at Rendezvous, etc. more than a few times without having to strip the gun down and clean?? I became interested to learn, i started reading everything i could find on the internet, and watching YouTube videos, This is where i found a guy by the name of Idahoron, i watched every YouTube video he had, in one of his videos i watched him shoot out to 300 Yards with a TC Hawken he called the 'Hotrod Hawken' that rifle became an OBSESSION of mine, I WANTED ONE!!! I watched Ron swab between shots, etc. How he cleaned his rifle, etc. I made up my mind i HAD TO TALK TO THIS GUY and see if he would share more info on his setup? We emailed a few times, then i called him, we visited for quite awhile on the phone and Ron shared everything about his set ups with me. I was very grateful for all of Ron's help, and advise in getting me going, since we both live in Idaho i offered him a trip to come hunt Whitetail deer with me, Ron made that trip and killed his first Whitetail buck with me watching him do it!! I got to shoot the infamous 'Hotrod Hawken' Ron is a like Brother to me, one of my very best friends! I ended up building my own 'Hotrod Hawken' and a few 'Hotrod Renegades' i have a wall standing full of Muzzleloaders! LOL, When i get in to something I usually go all out, And These old Muzzleloaders is one of them things! Here is a picture of me with Ron's 'Hotrod Hawken' when he came up on his Whitetail hunt with me, The rifle that started my obsession

IMG_467.jpg

Welcome!
Accura MR Nitride with Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32
Knight MK-85
T/C White Mountain Carbine

Return to “Welcome”