Hello from Mississippi

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this website while searching for a 50caliber Invest Arms Hawken barrel. Thought I would give it a try. Any advice on where to continue looking would be greatly appreciated. I gave rifle as a xmas present to my son around 1985. He was 10 or 11 yrs. old and killed a nice buck with it just after he got it. Long story short, when the young ladies took over his main thoughts several years later he let the barrel go bad. I've had rifle back in my collection about 10 years. My plan is to retore it and give it to him for xmas a second time and hope he takes better care of it this time.

How bad is ‘bad’? How much did you clean it up? Im asking because those InterArms have really good chrome lined barrels. Even pitted pretty bad it may still shoot great. Have you stuck a scope in there yet. Without seeing it i wouldn't call it junk til i ran some steel wool and bore polish thru it for 50-100 swipes then shot it some.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
I bought a couple guns with rusty barrels.
EvapoRust and green scrubby pads are your friends.
Mine still have some pitting but shoot just fine.

How bad is ‘bad’? How much did you clean it up? Im asking because those InterArms have really good chrome lined barrels. Even pitted pretty bad it may still shoot great. Have you stuck a scope in there yet. Without seeing it i wouldn't call it junk til i ran some steel wool and bore polish thru it for 50-100 swipes then shot it some.
Ramrod won't go in but about 3inches. Nipple was left out so threads on nipple port are almost completely gone.

Well that does sound like its junk. Short of buying a whole gun for parts I would suggest watching Ebay and Gunbroker. Lots of ML parts on Ebay. GB has a few ‘gun breakers’ that sell all kinds of parts. I actually sold an Investarms barrel on ebay several years ago. Another option is to get a TC barrel. They are more common and very close to the IA barrels. Might take just some minor fitting of the wood to drop one in.

Thanks for your replies. I'll keep looking. Pretty much looked at everything on Ebay. Haven't tried gun broker. May have to go with a TC or Green Mountain. Have read that a Lyman will fit.

Thanks for your replies. I'll keep looking. Pretty much looked at everything on Ebay. Haven't tried gun broker. May have to go with a TC or Green Mountain. Have read that a Lyman will fit.
Some of the Lymans were also made by Invest Arms. Cabelas, Dixie, Sile, a few others that i forget right now. Look for the I over A Symbol on the barrel.

D89EE8C9-0C8F-4A25-B364-C30DF161D980.png
Also they are still in business making the same guns. Email them and ask for a replacement. [email protected]D4224B87-BB1D-4F31-AB4F-E7E76D31558F.jpeg

Last edited:
I found this website while searching for a 50caliber Invest Arms Hawken barrel. Thought I would give it a try. Any advice on where to continue looking would be greatly appreciated. I gave rifle as a xmas present to my son around 1985. He was 10 or 11 yrs. old and killed a nice buck with it just after he got it. Long story short, when the young ladies took over his main thoughts several years later he let the barrel go bad. I've had rifle back in my collection about 10 years. My plan is to retore it and give it to him for xmas a second time and hope he takes better care of it this time.
Welcome from NW Missouri. As a former dealer, I've dealt with bad barrels and customers who don't like spending lots of money. In an earlier pos I recommended using brass bore brush, three section of rod, lots of solvent and an electric drill...once clean, put a few rounds through it, and clean it again. That may do the trick.

Welcome! You could send it to Bobby Hoyt to bore it to another caliber, or recline it to the same. He does excellent work.
Thanks, I found a new T/C barrel from an old kit that someone didn't finish. Just about got all the tweaking done to make it fit. All screws were missing and thats been a headache rounding them up. Looking forward to making it a functioning firearm again.

Back