Shot Placement for White Tails

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never witnessed a 300/338gr Powerbelt Platinum break up. That is one terrific bullet. Walmart puts them on closeout sale every December. It's the only Powerbelt model I fully trust.

I have been shooting 200 grain SSTs out of my encore. I choose them because that is the only bullet I could get to shoot good. I did a lot of research and it seems like people have better luck with the 200 grains (.40 cal) than the 250 grais (.45 cal).

I have only shot one deer with them. It was a wounded doe, 25 yards in the head (I do not recommend head shots. You can blow their jaw off and they die of starvation) . When I went up I expected her head to be exploded and there was a small hole going in and a small hole going out. :huh?:

I have yet to shoot a deer with that particular bullet in the vitals so I am anxious to see what happens. I do like shoulder shots because it puts them down but you are going to ruin some meat. Some people like pass through for blood trails and some like the bullet to stay in the deer which transfers the most energy possible.

My brother shot a few deer with power belts. Not very impressive. Tiny hole in and tiny hole out.

My dad friend shot an elk with one. Same thing, no expansion.

As well as Hornady XTP's, I recommend trying the .44 cal 300gr, you may want to try Harvester's Scorpion PT Gold muzzleloader bullets. They come in 240, 260 and 300gr, .45 cal. I first read about them on this site.

My son shot his first deer last fall using a 300gr Scorpion PT Gold in a Harvester smooth black sabot, over 85gr of BH209. The deer only went 30yds. We've found in our rifles (CVA Wolf & Optima V2) that they shoot like SST's but hit lit XTP's! We like them enough that I don't mind paying the exchange and the shipping to order them from Kentucky up here to Nova Scotia! Great folks to deal with too.

Back