Massachusetts opening day tomorrow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Hello All:

I have been away for a bit. We bought a home in Connecticut and my parents sold their home and downsized so to speak. So the past year has been ups and downs with all kinds of things going on.

Tomorrow will be the opening day of the Massachusetts shotgun season. You can use inline muzzle loaders as well for two weeks then the rest of December is the muzzle loading season.

I did some last minute scouting yesterday. I walked my club property which abuts a state forest. I found fresh sign in the form of tracks, droppings and urine marks in the two inches of crust that formed over Thanksgivings snowstorm. Also I spotted three or more deer running from one spruce swamp to another. It turns out they were spooked by a young man hunting squirrels with his dog.

The plan is to walk to the spot I saw all of the sign and sit in a small ground blind I made. Hopefully tomorrow morning the hammer on my TC Contender will fall on a 209 primer and launch a 250 grain 45 caliber XTP sabot with 100 grains of Blackhorn 209.

This season will be a tad bittersweet in some ways. When I moved the state of Massachusetts still recognizes your resident hunting license for six months. Next Saturday will be the last day I can legally hunt in the Bay State. If I wanted to hunt after that I'd have to get a non resident license which would be good for three weeks. To me it isn't financially worth it.

The plan after that is to hunt my new home state of Connecticut with the muzzleloader on private land. One bad thing is that in Connecticut when you buy firearm or muzzleloading deer tags you are limited to buying state land or private land deer tags. I live one mile from a state forest which is open to deer but if I buy a state land tag I cannot hunt my own land nor the other place where I have permission.

We will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back