New bow for Turkeys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny

Reaction score
I bought a new bow yesterday and think I may have to try my luck this spring turkey hunting with it. I do have a couple of questions though. Where exactly should I try to hit a turkey for a clean kill? And what type of broadhead does a guy use? Oh, and here's a picture of last year's tom.

Turkey.jpg
[/img]

Hunting turkeys with a bow is SUPER fun and SUPER tough!!! Been doing it for over 5 years now and I have shot over 5 birds with my bow! Shotgun is peanuts compared to bow hunting but when your at the local hunting club or bar talking turkey hunting very few people can say they shot one with a bow!

With that said, I prefer a big mechanical broad head 1 1/2 or bigger, a blind (I prefer the Dark Horse Double Bull), Strutting tom decoy, and a laser range finder. The guys on Double Bull have always said "shoot them high they die, and shoot them low they go!" With that said every bird I shot low (aimed for the hip) they would fly off and I really had a hard time finding them. Every bird I hit high or above the hip they wouldn't go far. The shinny thing on the birds wing is where I generally aim or right around there. Just stay above the hip and you should do fine! If you want to get creative you can just shoot their head off little more involved with that but it is fun to watch the fire works, if you catch my drift!!

Good luck!!

River Rat

Back