Final weekend doe in Texas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to some Public land close to my house this past Saturday for the final weekend of Muzzle loader season. Does and spikes were the legal game available. I hunt from a Summit climber when hunting the National Forest and had packed everything for a short distance hunt close to the truck. I have an old bicycle child carrier that I have converted over to a deer cart. I packed my climbing blind and back pack on it and walked and pulled my cart on a logging road about 1/2 mile in. Normally I carry my aluminum climbing blind and back pack on my back but I was due to run the Houston Marathon the next day(Sunday) and wanted to keep my legs as fresh as possible for those 26.2 mile awaiting me the next day.
I went up about 16 feet in a Pine tree and got situated before daylight. About an hour after sunup I caught movement in a draw about 90 yards from me. I checked with binoculars and confirmed that it was a good sized doe. I just got a new CVA Accura .50cal Long Range rifle with a Zeiss Conquest scope. I raised the rifle, used the front bar on my climbing blind to steady my aim, found her in the scope and put the cross hairs behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. She turned and ran the way she came from on a full run, jumping over dead logs and other debris. She ran approximately 100 yards and stopped, turned to look back, and fell over and died within just a few seconds. I have killed over 200 deer since childhood but got excited once again with a bit of shaking.
I climbed down and started packing all my gear up and walked to where she expired. I made a good shot and saw I had hit her a couple ribs past the shoulder and center of her body. I was using a .300 grain Hornady SST with 150 grains of pellets by Pyrodex. Small entry hole but a huge exit almost the size of your fist. I am still amazed how far some deer can go even with these type shots and the damage they perform. I was able to get my deer cart through the woods all the way to her, loaded her up on it and got back to the logging road and loaded up the rest of my gear and relatively easy trek back to the truck.
I do have a couple pics that i could share but am not sure how to get loaded on here. I can text a couple pics if someone can help get loaded. Thanks

Finally figured out how to post a pic...with wife's help of course. :) Best pic I had....for some reason she looks likes a nubbin buck in picture...high eye brows I suppose...definitely a doe though.

Looks like a real nice doe there. And that shot placement looks real good to me. I have been shooting a 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwave out of my Optima and have real good accuracy. Everyone tells me they are deer killers.

That cart looks real nice.

Back