1:20 after bedding

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
I have been working with the 1:20 for a couple of years hoping it would be my long range gun unless I find something better. It has been very accurate with the Dead Center 260 gr 40/45 and the 230 gr Lehigh's. I haven't had any Lehigh's for about 2 years so I've been shooting the Dead Centers mainly.
I got the gun bedded in hopes of achieving better accuracy, but alas it was not to be, I took the gun out for a range session and it shot the same as it did before it was bedded. Or maybe I didn't shoot any better with it bedded than I did before: :huh?:

It had a peep on it from last year so I had to mount a scope.
Then zero it in, first shot wasn't on paper, naturally, but it only took 4 shots to get it close enough to try a group. this was my group

Not bad but that was the way it shot before the bedding job

The barrel got hot very quick. I let it cool down after only 4 shots. before shooting the above group.
Then I let it cool down a few minutes and went 3 clicks right to fine tune a little ,The sabot loaded very easily , I assume from the warm barrel but I took one shot at a new target to check adjustment. This is it

I figured that was good for now . I will take it out again another day.

Gun: Knight Disc 1:20
Bushnell 3x9 Omega scope
110 gr Blackhorn powder
260 gr PR Dead Center w/tan sabot
Winchester primer in red disc( I couldn't find my Lehigh bare primer plug)
100 yards off rest on hood ( my normal sight in method)

My only concern is you posted the first shot was not on paper? Are you using blackhorn 209? Have you tried other powders?

rat trapper said:
My only concern is you posted the first shot was not on paper? Are you using blackhorn 209? Have you tried other powders?
Yes using 110 gr blackhorn . First shot wasnt on paper . I just mounted the scope and it was shooting way right . Probably at least foot and a half right and low . I had to move to 13 yards to see what was going on but it only took 4 shots to dial it in and one to fine tune it a little , which is pretty good for me . I often have to take a dozen or more shots to zero a new scope . I have shot this gun with 130 gr triple 7 with about same result i got with 110 gr blackhorn

While it might be a slight disappointment that the bedding couldn't squeeze out another fraction of an inch in accuracy, let me honestly ask... did you expect it? That kind of shooting I only dream of at 100 yards. And any minor infractions of trigger pull, breathing different, wind, even birds flying over head could have caused you not to get a one hole group. But that kind of shooting, I bet put a nice smile on the old kisser. Very nice shooting. I wish I knew how to bed a rifle. There are a couple I would like to try. But my one attempt at it.. lets just say was not a stellar performance. So I have not attempted another fiasco again,

SShooter

Looks like you have a competition rifle right there. Also since I do not think at competition that you will shoot off the hood of your truck - it and you will do better. Wish you and Jon had - had that shooting competition that you guys discussed we he was so proud of his CVA shootings.

Is the barrel still free floated or have you bedded it the full length also? If not, really think you might want to point bed it - that might help that 32nd of inch at a 100

How tight is the bore in that Super DISC?

The MMP tans are pretty much too tight in mine especially with a soft lead bullet. My bore is just a tad under .450 but larger than .4495

GM54-120 said:
How tight is the bore in that Super DISC?

The MMP tans are pretty much too tight in mine especially with a soft lead bullet. My bore is just a tad under .450 but larger than .4495
I'm not sure of the bore size, I never slugged it but the tan sabots fit good. Not to hard not to easy to load.
I am going to try smooth blue though just to see how they do. I should have some Tuesday

It would be interesting to see how well the Harvesters shoot with the soft lead PRs. Assuming ignition is good, the bullet should obturate in the sabot and tighten up. Easier loading may also be easier on the soft lead ogive of the bullet.

You might need the Lehigh plug for reliable ignition with this combo or you could just bring some cornmeal. :D

GM54-120 said:
It would be interesting to see how well the Harvesters shoot with the soft lead PRs. Assuming ignition is good, the bullet should obturate in the sabot and tighten up. Easier loading may also be easier on the soft lead ogive of the bullet.

You might need the Lehigh plug for reliable ignition with this combo or you could just bring some cornmeal. :D
I have a lehigh plug coming . It is suppose to go in the mail monday ( tomorrow 6/15)

Latest posts

Back