110 yard bullet test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tested 4 bullets today. Hornady ftx 265 grain 44, Hornady 250 grain monoflex , Barnes 275 grain 460 s&w. And powerbelt 295 aero tip. Range was 110 yards into 5 water jugs with a bag of dry play sand behind them with a CVA wolf loaded with 71.1 grains (weighed) with a cci 209 magnum primer all the bullets penetrated the 5 jugs and stopped in the bag of play sand the monoflex was sticking into the front of the bag.

Attachments

• 9AE5353C-2094-4FB7-9596-ED6D304678AE.jpeg
    9AE5353C-2094-4FB7-9596-ED6D304678AE.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 85
Can you give me an idea about the sabot for each of those bullets. That ftx and monoflex show great results at that distance. Nice test indeed.
I have the Optima so very close to that wolf. Also, I assume you are talking about BH209 powder. I have shot 70 and 75gr. but am curious about the 71.1.

Dave Heffner
Oregon

Can you give me an idea about the sabot for each of those bullets. That ftx and monoflex show great results at that distance. Nice test indeed.
I have the Optima so very close to that wolf. Also, I assume you are talking about BH209 powder. I have shot 70 and 75gr. but am curious about the 71.1.

Dave Heffner
Oregon
The ftx and monoflex were both shot the Hornady black sabot and I shot 71.1 grains of triple 7 with a cci magnum 209 primer

Yeah I was disappointed in the xpb. It’s very accurate but doesn’t expand at my loads speed. I think I’m probably shooting between 1600 and 1700 mv
I'm still surprised it didn't open up, even just a little bit. Federal ammunition loads that bullet in their premium line at a published velocity of 1840 fps. Yeah, they load it faster than what you stated but I'd expect to see it at least start to open up.

Yes I was really surprised too. It went thru all 5 jugs leaving a 45 hole and entered the sand just a few inches from the ftx. It must be a 50 yard and closer pistol bullet.

Good job on the report and shooting, thus making good information for others.

I wonder if the factory breech plug for the wolf is not the new modern 209 breech plug. Anyway, more expense for breech plug and powder.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

Im shooting the blackhorn breechplug. I bought it because I wanted to use blackhorn. It misfired a couple of times with blackhorn so I went back to 777. Never have had a misfire with 777. It’s a little dirtier but I can run 2 wet patches and 2 or 3 dry patches thru it and it’s clean as a whistle.

Im shooting the blackhorn breechplug. I bought it because I wanted to use blackhorn. It misfired a couple of times with blackhorn so I went back to 777. Never have had a misfire with 777. It’s a little dirtier but I can run 2 wet patches and 2 or 3 dry patches thru it and it’s clean as a whistle.
Thanks Yes I enjoyed shooting those jugs and finding a couple of good hunting bullets. I’ll be trying a couple more when I get some more jugs.

it is interesting, your experience, since there have been some folks testing some inconsistencies with loads from BH209. I don't get to use the BH much since I am in Oregon, and I do like the availability of the T7.

Yes I know you have some stricter rules out west. I’ve hunted Colorado and had to shoot open sights and a full bore bullet. I killed a bull with that powerbelt I tested today I’m amazed it worked after seeing what it did going through those jugs but I did hit it high shoulder. I’m sure blackhorn is good powder but I’ve just had zero problems with 777. I’m not chancing a misfire on a big buck or bull.

Even out of my White Whitetail, shooting a #11 percussion cap, BH209 lit off. More if fizzle than a boom, but it went off... just tried it to see if a percussion cap would set it off.. it did, though not with any authority.

Have you cleaned out the flame channel immediately under the primer? Even with a blackhorn plug you need to use a drill bit and clean that channel out every 15 or so shots or misfires can happen. Fit a drill bit to the channel diameter and twist the bit thru it until it stops. If you dislodge a mess of hard grit it needed cleaning. With that Wolf and a blackhorn plug I would not give up on that 209 powder

Back