110 yard bullet test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time it misfired I had shot it maybe 5 times. it went off but it was a fizzle and I saw the bullet bounce across the ground. I had the blackhorn breechplug in and plenty of compression. I was shooting a saboted bullet. The second time it happened it was just a few shots in too. I said that’s it. I’m done with this stuff and went back to 777 which in my opinion is great.

Have you cleaned out the flame channel immediately under the primer? Even with a blackhorn plug you need to use a drill bit and clean that channel out every 15 or so shots or misfires can happen. Fit a drill bit to the channel diameter and twist the bit thru it until it stops. If you dislodge a mess of hard grit it needed cleaning. With that Wolf and a blackhorn plug I would not give up on that 209 powder
What Tom said, + use a full strength primer or even a mag primer.

Maybe a primer headspace issue then.

Even with T7 you need to clear the flame channel. It'll all catch up to you if you don't.

Ive seen that happen many times with the 275gr XPB. That bullet likes high speed impacts. If you cant hit 2100fps its better to just avoid it entirely.

On a side note....im not sure how a 44cal 265gr FTX is working in a black sabot. 50x44 are typically green sabots but i think Hornady did sell some at one time in black. The MonoFex are either .452 or .458 depending on ML version or 45/70 version. The ML version ships in red sabots. The .458 45/70 version would be brutally tight in a Hornady 50x45 black sabot.

I’m sorry You are right. I shot the ftx in a green Hornady sabot. My mistake. I’ve shot so many sabots I got them confused. The monoflex was a .452 in a Hornady black sabot.

Yes that xpb is very accurate it hits the same p o I as the 265 ftx. I guess I’ll use it to check zero in my gun but I’m definitely not hunting with it. I’m not willing to up my charge to make it shoot 2100 FPS either.

For better xpb expansion at that speed maybe try the 200gr for the 460? Just a thought as too much bullet weight for that slow of speed? The 275xpb expands well @2200fps+ but I have not personally tried the 200xpb but I am shooting a 45 smokeless. Just some thoughts. Also I have had good results (saboted) with 200ftx on deer.

Last edited:
Yes I might try those. That 200 ftx is quite speedy I bet. And I bet it is great on deer I’m sure it has quite a bit more expansion than my 265 ftx did. Which I was very pleased with. Thanks for the info.

Yes I would like to try those too. I bought those 460 s&w 275 Barnes without realizing the mv of a 460 Smith I’m getting bored with cenerfires and I’ve just got back into muzzleloading after about 15 years and I’m learning a lot from you guys. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back