13 yd mzzl sight in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah Sam Fadala n his books of ML's sharp cookie he was n educated. I used to have several of his books. So listen to what he told ! No matter what ML or load, you sight in at 13 yds. This is correct, do not get confused its the ML you are shooting at the time. Not some one else's. I have 7 ML's of course they all use different powder gr. So they all hit different, but you deal with each one separately. He mostly used open sights or peeps, some times he had a scoped more modern ML.

When sighting-in a muzzleloader - I only have/use flintlocks - The small "squirrel" calibers are sighted in at 30 yds and that's about as far as the average available shot where I've hunted. Deer calibers get a longer poa. For .40 up to .54 I sight in first at 25 yds and try to get the group centered. This puts the 50 yd poi 2" to 3" high. This gives me a point blank range of 100 yds or a bit farther. I fire nothing but patched round ball and the 50 yd grouping varies depending on caliber. I no longer hunt and shoot weaker loads meant for plinking. Yes, it takes more shooting than the 13 yd rule, but hey, I like to shoot.

Back