2023 MN Muzzleloader Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice country up that way. I'm in Rochester [SE corner] and hunt near Hammond.

Does after rifle season is over are as or more educated and tough to fool as bucks IMO....congrats in general and in getting that close!

I'm up in da north woods, where we still have a few deer (and wolves too but they aren't that impactful, at least we've had them for years and there are still some deer around!). One thing about the big woods the deer are where they are it's a bit of a challenge to be where they are after rifle season is over --as there a lot more places where they ain't! Would love to see a bit of snow to help!

First MZ deer 2023.jpg

Took this average sized (for here) doe yesterday morning. 65 yard shot that I either pulled a bit or deflected on me. Found later I hit her forward and a bit low, took out a leg and knicked body but nothing that would be fatal right away.

Long tracking job of around 400 yards with sporadic blood--grey cloudy day made it harder to see blood from other reddish things. But there was something every 10 feet or so on average. Eventually after 2 hours found her to finish her off. Relieved as I absolutely hate to lose a wounded deer.

Nice to get the first one with the MZ but not happy with the shot. Might not have been me but gave me even more incentive to work out a load and be real confident before trying again. Also found some things out about reloading in the field. Shooting 100 grains of 777 with a 250 traditions smackdown sabot out of a Vortek strikerfire backcountry--and it was not easy to get a follow up shoved down the dirty barrel, even if I ran a clean patch down first. And my rod off the gun could be longer--got the first clean patch stuck deep and couldn't pull it out. Had to remove the breech plug and shove it through. Do folks fire a cap to clear first shot debris? Maybe that would help. Deer are already aware you are there in that situation and where I hunt unless you drop them at the shot you aren't going to get a follow up very often until you track them.

Definitely want to try white hots and wring out the barnes TEZ's to see if that makes follow up loading easier. If that doesn't work well I might try loose--blackhorn if I do that.

Oh, per my earlier question-- I loaded the gun 13 days earlier, just kept it dry, my shots went boom just fine.

Drag was really pretty easy as that can go, but sure am sore today! Bit of a chore to get them up in the truck bed by myself but have a pulley for that, just look for a tree with a stout limb to back up to.

What kind of penetration did you get from that bullet? I am think Blackhorn 209 to help with a cleaner barrel for a reload and follow up quicker. Any opinions on that?

Back