209A primers..I’m having a hard time getting the Bh 209 powder to ignite with a standard Winchester 209 primer..how do you get a few Federal 209A prIm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelRich53

Reaction score
Having a hard time igniting bh-209 powder using standard Winchester 209 primers without using 2 or 3 of them..:/..how can you get some Federal 209A magnum primers?..it seems they want you to pay 30 bucks hazmat and 10 bucks extra shipping @ most mail order places..also, do you guy’s know if the new Federal MZ 209 primers are magnum primers?…I know some of the older MZ primers were weaker..thanks!..;)

I believe any muzzleloader specific primer will be on the milder end of the spectrum.
What rifle are you using and have you cleaned your breechplug with drill bits spun by hand to scrape out hardened carbon?
Most people seem to find the regular Winchester 209 shotgun primers sufficient.

If you order primers you have to pay HazMat unless the place you are ordering from is running a no HazMat deal.

I believe any muzzleloader specific primer will be on the milder end of the spectrum.
What rifle are you using and have you cleaned your breechplug with drill bits spun by hand to scrape out hardened carbon?
Most people seem to find the regular Winchester 209 shotgun primers sufficient.

If you order primers you have to pay HazMat unless the place you are ordering from is running a no HazMat deal.
I’m shooting a cva Apollo I always keep the breech plug and gun clean..thx!…I’m having to pop 2or 3 to ignite the bh-209…
Do you have a BH209 compatible breechplug or a standard factory one for other powders?
I can only say it’s a 209 breech plug that I ordered several years ago…do you know what diameter the hole should be for the bh-209,say compared to a standard 209 breech plug hole?..thx!..:)

I’m shooting a cva Apollo I always keep the breech plug and gun clean..thx!…I’m having to pop 2or 3 to ignite the bh-209…

I can only say it’s a 209 breech plug that I ordered several years ago…do you know what diameter the hole should be for the bh-209,say compared to a standard 209 breech plug hole?..thx!..:)
Isn’t that a slam fire gun like a T/C Black Diamond or is it an actual bolt gun?

Maybe post some pictures of the breechplug and someone can probably tell you why you’re having a problem. Not all breechplugs will work well with BH209 and not all action types are suitable for it.

Last edited:
Some older guns have conversion kits to use Blackhorn 209. You say that you changed the breech plug but what about the bolt/spring assembly?
The original setup may not be strong enough for Blackhorn.
You'll most likely have less problems going back to the original plug, # 11 or musket caps and real black powder or Triple 7.

Isn’t that a slam fire gun like a T/C Black Diamond or is it an actual bolt gun?

Maybe post some pictures of the breechplug and someone can probably tell you why you’re having a problem. Not all breechplugs will work well with BH209 and not all action types are suitable for it.
It is a slam fire,not a bolt gun..I just sent it back to the factory for a recall or I would post some photos!..thx!..:)

Blackhorn isn't recommended to be used in that muzzleloader! Try some pyrodex rs or maybe 777.

Did they say what they are going to do about it? Are they going to send you a newer muzzleloader?
They didn’t say…they said send it in for repair…and not to shoot it anymore…the last part of the serial # is -97..I’m not sure if it’s a 1997 model..I bought it maybe 25 years ago,new..:)

They didn’t say…they said send it in for repair…and not to shoot it anymore…the last part of the serial # is -97..I’m not sure if it’s a 1997 model..I bought it maybe 25 years ago,new..:)
I don't remember why they were recalled them and that's why I was wondering what they going to do about it! Let's us know what they do!

Latest posts

Back