223 Reduced load 40gr Vmax & Trailboss loads anyone?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I’ve seen the published data for 55 grainers. Thinking 40’s might be the ticket.
Anyone have experience with a 40?
Using in AR platform and I have bbls from 1/7 to 1/12.
Trailboss preferred to the best of my knowledge.

I’ve seen the published data for 55 grainers. Thinking 40’s might be the ticket.
Anyone have experience with a 40?
Using in AR platform and I have bbls from 1/7 to 1/12.
Trailboss preferred to the best of my knowledge.
What are you going to do with your reduced load, If you don't mind me asking?

Just about any won’t cycle the AR action, but you know that.

Depends how far you want to go, on the low side. I’d think Trailboss would work. Another route is one of the historically ‘approved’ pistol powders. Alliant used to publish loads with 2400 powder, IMR with 4227 powder.

I loaded some light loads in the 223 with 45 grain bullets, near 12 grains of Alliant 2400, 2670 FPS with my chrony, 22 Hornet territory.

There is data out there, older manuals. Yes, with less than 1/2 case of powder, don’t be double charging.

Widude, Thanks for your thoughts. Yep right on about cycling. Not a problem. Plus this piece is side charging.
Probably sticking with Trailboss and going 70% case capacity.
I know I can get the desired velocity. Accuracy is the key.
Will be running through a can if all works.

I used reduced loads near population. For safety as much as low noise. One night I called in and killed 2 fox within 200 yards of a City limit.

Last edited:
https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/on-line-free-load-data-and-references.281290/
The link is to a bunch of older manuals & references, oodles of options. Space is limited with about any manual, can be fine loads that are not listed. That also applies if looking for a specialty application, like lighter than normal loads. Even the ‘Steve’s Reloading Pages’ has bunch of info.

As an example, here’s a screen grab of some 223 loads with lighter bullets. In the list you will see some of the slower handgun powders used. This is the Lee #1 manual, a free download.
E575C90E-DF05-4B2A-B2A7-6557728B5D0C.png

Back