32 inline build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pupsdad said:
Thimble getting close.
IMAG0366-819x608.jpg
Man that Thimble is Awsome! Is that steel or Aluminum?

I am planning to build one just like that but from Black Nylon. I hope to start on it tomorrow. Mine will be made by hand though so probably will not look near as nice as yours. Great Job!

It's steel , lots of filing going on now. I bored the larger hole then drilled and reamed the 5/16 hole for the ram-rod. Cut it close with band saw belt sander now I'll finish shaping with file and polish it a little. Epoxy or silver solder it on. I was hoping to have this done sooner but I'm taking my time don't want any mistakes. I know myself and my limits. I am not a professional by any means but I have some skills.

Are you planning to Blue the barrel and thimble? I did a cold blue on my Marathon but it is sort of a pain to use cold blue. But no one around me had tanks to do hot salt blue. I only have a table top drill press myself. So most of my shaping will be with Dremel and files too. Looks great so far! It will be one to be proud of. :yeah:

It's going to get Dura-Coated. I have had pretty good results with it in the past. Never a muzzle loader but I read some of the Whites have Dura-Coat.

Dura-Coat on action I need to fasten thimble to barrel before I coat it. I'm leaving town for a few days this will be good for epoxy cure. I may be shooting within a week or two.

Attachments

• IMAG0367-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0367-819x608.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 126
You can bake it to speed up the cure but isn't necessary.
I like to just let it cure for a couple weeks before full use.
You can touch it up easily and looks good and is easy. Problems mostly come from not cleaning good before coating.

I am all but done. Need to touch up the Dura Coat around the thimble and mount the scope.

Attachments

• IMAG0380-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0380-819x608.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0381-819x608.jpg
    IMAG0381-819x608.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 96
really nice! should be a sweetheart. I keep thinking when (if) I retire, i'm selling most of the woodshop, and buying metal tools. I would go with short barrel too. .32 is only close range anyway, and weight is the biggest issue for a squirrel gun.

Nice!! :D

Thanks for taking us along on the build process! :yeah:

Looks Great! Nice job! :yeah: It is really going to be nice with that shorter barrel in the woods. Can't wait to see your range report.

I can hardly wait, this thing is going to be a hoot to shoot. I ordered a mold .311 round ball. It just ain't fun for me if I don't pour my own. I can see this thing being an attention grabber at the gun club I already have people that I've told about it wanting to shoot it. I'm hoping for some real good accuracy then maybe build a stock. Kill a few squirrel this fall for sure. I'm going to make a new breech plug also I wasn't happy with the flats I cut to fit a wrench. The distance from striker to nipple came out exactly were I wanted it but it could be increased to give better ignition.

Did you try any RB in it for size? I got Hornady .310's and they were too small in my Oregon 1 in 30, could pretty much start them by thumb and could pull it right back out by the ticking so they did not group well. I tried them with some OxYoke prelubed patches and with ticking and were just too small. I got the Hornady .315 RB and got a yard of the thickest Ticking JoAnn Fabrics had (they had 3 or 4 kinds and 2 felt thin), washed it twice, and this combo was just right. I have not gotten a mold yet but am thinking about it. A .315 is not the standard from Lee, RCBS, or Lyman but they can be ordered from places like Moose. On the other hand the little Marathon I have has a bore that is too tight for the .315 and the .310 felt good. No one had any .311's though I did see some at Dixon,s over in Pa last time I was there.

Yup you are going to have some fun with that rifle. :yeah: They are a real hoot and it made Squirrel hunting so much more fun for me. :D

Yep I may have a problem but I bought the mold anyway, it will all workout in the end. I planned on walking into Gander Mountain to buy some balls but they closed.

I know they are closing but did not know that any were actually closed yet. Closest to me is almost 3 hour drive one way, so did not think it was worth going. Next weekend I will drive right by the one in Chambersburg PA on my way to Ohio. Was planning to stop and see what's left. :roll:

It all depends on how loose or tight he made "That" barrel. Plus you can play with patching. Was the mold you ordered a custom or off the shelf?

I has some very old Pillow Ticking and it was just too thin so went to the JoAnn Fabric store. I found they had more than one Pillow tick material. Of what I found, I can't remember if it was 4 different rolls or 3, but the one that felt noticeably thicker was in Red and blue stripe and that is what I got. Then washed and dried it 2 times to thicken it up. It was perfect in my Oregon with .315's but who knows yours might like those .311's

It's a used newer Lee mold so I'll have little in it. I slugged my barrel I just don't remember what it was but I do remember thinking a .311 might work.

I have never shot many round balls, the only time I have was when I shoot with my uncle he shoots everything but lots of balls. I talked it over with him he told me I should be OK. He's a traditional type, even adjustable sights will be against his club rules he belongs to. They are normal gun guys and even have inline guns for hunting, but at a club shoot it's traditional all the way. They get all dressed up with lots of hand made gear. They have fun but that's not my thing, I enjoy working on guns pouring bullets loading and shooting. I have a Thompson Center Hawken his club would frown on it at a club shoot.

pupsdad said:
Yep I may have a problem but I bought the mold anyway, it will all workout in the end. I planned on walking into Gander Mountain to buy some balls but they closed.

I stopped into ours yesterday... still tons of inventory, and alot of people. The prices were pretty much the same as they were when I went 2 weeks ago. Except they are now offering 5% discount on firearms. They have one tub of BH209 left... when I was there 2 weeks ago there was 2, and I bought 1. I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Plenty of Pyro and T7. Zero good bullets... tons of powerbelts. :lol:

WV Hunter said:
pupsdad said:

I stopped into ours yesterday... still tons of inventory, and alot of people. The prices were pretty much the same as they were when I went 2 weeks ago. Except they are now offering 5% discount on firearms. They have one tub of BH209 left... when I was there 2 weeks ago there was 2, and I bought 1. I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Plenty of Pyro and T7. Zero good bullets... tons of powerbelts. :lol:

I've been getting emails saying they were now giving 40% off and 15% on guns. :huh?: I plan to stop by the Store in Chambersburg PA next Saturday on my way to Ohio. Rarely buy much due to prices but it is about the right place for a pit Stop. :wink:

OK I'm going to be close to a store next week I'll check it out. I can only hope they might have a box of .315 balls. My rifle is all done I mounted an old 4X TASCO on it. I'll start a new thread with my first range trip.

Back