.410 White and Western Kentucky whitetails

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
It all started Saturday morning in Western Kentucky. I awoke at 2:45AM and not by choice. It just happens that someones cell phone was set to ring at this time. I made the best of it and had breakfast. Around 5:00AM Kenny, one of our guides , took me out to a stand that I would hunt all day Saturday.

By 5:40 I was in my stand waiting for the sun to rise. At first light I had 3 coyotes pass behind me at 10 yds. Then 30 minutes later the turkeys flew down from their roosts. I called it quits at 11:00 Am and went in for lunch.

Lunch was great and the knap did wonders for me. Now I was back on stand and its 3:30PM. I was looking forward to an eventful evening. However their was no deer just another coyote and more turkeys.

Sunday morning arrived. I had high hopes along with a new stand location. Harry had hunted this stand the night before. I believe he had seen a single doe. I arrived at my stand at 5:45AM. At 8:00AM a single doe walk out to feed. AT 8:15 with no other deer coming into the feild I decided to take her. At 15 yards I let the 400 gr. White Power Punch fly. The doe went 15 yards and dropped.

Sunday night I headed to a section that has no stands and ground hunted a slew bordered by acorn trees. In the 1st hour I had counted 30 deer. Waiting on a nice buck I watched deer come and go all evening. around 6:15PM the light was fading so I decided to take another doe for the freezer. I pulled up on a nice doe and noticed that there was another one standing behind her. Not wanting to hit the 2nd doe I waited for the next one to pass by. I fired my White. This time I was 70 yds. out. I made an off hand shot that found its mark. She went 20 yds. and dropped. When I found this deer I was surprised to find out that I had just shot a button buck.

Here's a picture of my Doe taken sunday morning, But I did not get a picture of my button buck. We were so excited about JJ's nice buck and kristels huge doe that I forgot to get my camera out.

The white .410 performed great. It doesn't leave the biggest hole but it sure gets the job done.

KY%20hunt2006%20037.jpg

DSC00280-2.jpg

Way to go JD! Remember...I was THERE!

I guess those Whites do go bang when they are supposed to! :D

I didn't know you saw so many deer. Maybe the weather had them all bunched up. Nice going!

Nice story! That .410 really was good medicine! I hope to get mine out fo the gun case next time!

Way to go! Some fine eating there!

I would post a pic of my doe but she is a tad small! :lol: :lol:

I think I have caught bigger fish! :oops: :lol: :wink:

Back