.45 cal SML build day...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realhunter

Reaction score
Savage 10 ML (ORIGINAL) SA Large shank with Arrowhead bolt head

Rifle basix trigger

Brux 1 n 20, 26" barrel

Arrowhead LRMP plug and modules

NSS barrel nut & recoil lug

Bell and Carlson stock

Meopta optika 5 2-10 x 42mm

Burris XTR rings

Hankins bullet sizer

PXL_20240301_142321759.jpg

Damn I love a good puzzle. Looks like a fine adventure sir! Enjoy!

That sure as heck didn't take long. Now what are you going to do to eat up time?

That sure as heck didn't take long. Now what are you going to do to eat up time?
So, she won't shoot TC 250 gr Shockwaves... They tumble, guess jacket is too thick and they won't obturate??

60 gr N120, nice keyhole, velocity was low as well at 2300 fps.

PXL_20240302_133505924.jpg

Looks good, so you are using non-magnum rifle primers? I often use whatever I have available to me when pistol shooting- magnum/non-magnum, hasn't made much difference. With smokeless muzzleloading I have always used magnums with my Arrowhead ignition system. I thought the velocity might be low using 60grs of N120. I used 57grs of N120 when shooting my .50 Savage ML II. What distance did you take the Speer 250gr Gold Dots out to? Also, did you use a wad? I have switched from Arrowhead NSR bullets to Barnes 295gr coppers and Fury 300gr bonded bullets. They have the same POI at 100yrds, but am yet to stretch them out to 200+. The Arrowhead bullets were phenomenal for accuracy, but were terrible for terminal performance on deer at shorter ranges- they just grenaded and I often wouldn't get a pass through. For powder I am using 78grns of H322, but I have 4lbs of 4198 which I will need to start using shortly due to lack of H322. Keep us updated on any of your data. Thanks

Looks good, so you are using non-magnum rifle primers?
Correct, CCI Large Rifle Primers

I often use whatever I have available to me when pistol shooting- magnum/non-magnum, hasn't made much difference. With smokeless muzzleloading I have always used magnums with my Arrowhead ignition system. I thought the velocity might be low using 60grs of N120.
Velocity was only low with the TC shockwave. Don't think it obturated to seal bore / engage rifling.

I used 57grs of N120 when shooting my .50 Savage ML II. What distance did you take the Speer 250gr Gold Dots out to?
Groups shot at 100yds

Also, did you use a wad?
No
I have switched from Arrowhead NSR bullets to Barnes 295gr coppers and Fury 300gr bonded bullets. They have the same POI at 100yrds, but am yet to stretch them out to 200+. The Arrowhead bullets were phenomenal for accuracy, but were terrible for terminal performance on deer at shorter ranges- they just grenaded and I often wouldn't get a pass through. For powder I am using 78grns of H322, but I have 4lbs of 4198 which I will need to start using shortly due to lack of H322. Keep us updated on any of your data. Thanks

I'm assuming you switched from the Speer Gold Dots to the Parkers for improved BC at longer distances? I have used a few Parkers over the years and they have always been very accurate, but again terminal performance on deer has been marginal. I am not a target shooter, so I am in need of a bullet with great accuracy at close range and long range, but also a bullet that is going to give me a complete pass through for blood trailing purposes if needed.

I'm assuming you switched from the Speer Gold Dots to the Parkers for improved BC at longer distances? I have used a few Parkers over the years and they have always been very accurate, but again terminal performance on deer has been marginal. I am not a target shooter, so I am in need of a bullet with great accuracy at close range and long range, but also a bullet that is going to give me a complete pass through for blood trailing purposes if needed.
I didn't switch per se, I have quite of few bullets at my disposal. Just trying different bullets.

Yes I was using the deep curl's

Back