Omega Build - McGowen .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add 5744 and SR4759 to the list too. 5744 isnt that useful other than BH209 type sabot speeds and 4759 is discontinued but its a good faster powder for 45s. You can use a few more grains than N110. Like about 38-39gr of 4759. Both ignite very easily.

N120, 4198 and Reloder7 though are probably more flexible and will certainly make more speed with less peak pressure. I would also suggest the Fury 240s if you want to squeak the most out of Re7 and 4198. Both are on the slow side for a 200gr. Going up in bullet weight might even give you more MV than a 200gr in sabots.

are the star tips typically better or more accurate that their black plastic tip ?

No more accurate, both bullets are very accurate and tend to shoot the same I think the star tip be a little bit cheaper, I would try both bullets though in a couple of the rifles I have the star tip basic out shoots the black tip and in a couple of others the black tip out shoots the star tip again let your rifle tell you but they're definitely two bullets that I would be trying whether it's a smokeless gun or a one in 28 Factory twist Black Horn / sub black powder rifle

Nice shooting, I’ve shot a bunch of Parker’s through the years. They always impress the heck out of me. Wasn’t impressed on performance on whitetails. 275 grain.
Thanks. Yes, I’ve heard guys say they’ve had less than great results with the 275 BEs. Too light and soft. Damn those shoot good though. From what I read, the 300s are a little more reliable. As for the other Parkers, I’ve killed several animals with the 300 and 327 Black Maxs and like them.

Does it affect point of aim at all
It does affect the way the rifle feels and points. I had to add a cheek riser for a better cheek weld on this factory stock. I also had to free float the barrel channel a bit. Shoots really well. Haven’t glass bedded it yet. Been shooting it on this stock for a couple months. See post #69.

Back