45 caliber 200 grain xtp in my Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
70 grains of 3f Swiss and a Harvester crush rib. Loading was much easier than the 250s.
Groups ran right about an inch for 3 shots at 50 yards. Curiously, with this rifle as the bullet weight goes down and the velocity increases, the point of impact drops. Haven't chrono'd this barrel yet, but I suspect these flying ashtrays are MOVING!
This flintlock Renegade has proven to be a wise choice! Just too much fun!

Reason point of impact decreasing is because bullet is exiting barrel faster and barrel rise is less, same reason only opposite reaction to heavier bullet hitting higher.

With myFirehawk and both the barrels for my Hawken, the change in point of impact relative to an existing zero is as expected. The lighter, faster bullets have hit higher.
The sights are set for the trajectory of a slower heavier load. Yes the lighter faster ones exit sooner, but the sights are still set for the higher trajectory. Hence, they should hit higher.
My Firehawk hits an inch low at 100 with 300 grain at 1500 fps,dead on with the 250s at 1575 fps and + 2 1/4 with the 230s at 1640 fps. All launched with the same 70 grain charge of 3f Swiss.
Guess she just has to play different...

Back