Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTY

Reaction score
I know that in some respects I am a minimalist, and in other I am a hoarder. For example, this was my first year shooting the ML and the only thing I had to buy was felt over the powder wads. Everything else was in my someday I will use this pile.

Several years ago I spotted a first year production 300 Savage 722 on Gunbroker. It was beat and cheap. I bought it, junked the broken stock, pulled the barrel and put the action in my pile.

Four years ago, I started rooting around in the pile and came up with a new 308 twelve twist 3 groove Pac Nor barrel, a 700 fiberglass stock, and a Weaver Grand Slam. I put this stuff together with minimal headspace and bolt nose clearance. I dialed the throat in at .0002 TIR, roughed with a drill bit, trued it with a boring bar, and ran the reamer in. Then I stuck it in the safe.

Fast forward to today. A bullet crosses the line of sight at approximately 25 and 100 yards at the same point. Knowing this I painted a can lid orange, nailed it to a piece of plywood and propped it up at 25 yards.

I took a shot, measured how off I was, adjusted the scope for approximately half the correction and took a shot. Now I had a good idea of exactly how much correction to dial in for a zero. Next shot clipped the nail.

Since it is a new barrel, I quit at 3 and cleaned the rifle. The next good day I have I will try it at 100. This thing gives every indication of being a good shooter. I am happy so far. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. A good day is both me and the wind calm.

I know where there is an extractor sitting. I probably should make sure it goes in my pocket next time I am there.

When I was shooting the other day, I also sighted in my 788 .223. I have a rabbit probem in the veggie garden each year. If I can bring myself to clean up the mess, I may use it on the rabbits this year.

Latest posts

Back