Importance of an easily removable trigger group

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
Warning - This is a little bit of a rant!

I have a CVA MR-X I have been trying to get dialed in for the past year or so. I shoot about 25-30 rounds once a month both for fun and to keep dialing in my setup and shot.

I am super particular with cleaning my barrel and because of this it still looks brand new, however the trigger assembly on the MR-X is not designed to easily come apart for cleaning and service so I have been stuck with wiping down what I can see, and doing the old spray and pray with some anti corrosion oil into the action.

If you have any doubts about what I just said there are some youtube videos out there showing what a pain in the rear it is to break down and put back together. CVA even recomends spraying CLP into the action for "cleaning."

We have been going through some super humid months and suprise- suprise the break open action is seized up from corrosion. As in so stuck I can't open the action... And I mean this is from just a little bit of corrosion.

Not only can I not get a good group from this thing but I have now learned from here on out that any inline I buy will need to have an easily removable trigger group for a FULL clean after each session. Also I should mention I have very decent (but not perfect) primer seal with this breach plug.

This MR-X has been a great learning tool for me, unfortunately all of the lessons have been learned the hard way!

Last edited:
You've posted a thread last year for suggestions on what to shoot out of this rifle. I can see shooting 25-30 shots a month but the way I read your post you still don't have it sighted in after all that shooting! Either I'm mis-reading your thread or you have something amiss with your set up or something that you're doing. Can you please clarify.
Also you don't say what your shooting out of it - powder, charge, bullet and bullet weight, sabot or no sabot. And what do you consider a good group?
Your post leaves anyone reading this at a loss as to what your issue is if it is an issue at all.

You've posted a thread last year for suggestions on what to shoot out of this rifle. I can see shooting 25-30 shots a month but the way I read your post you still don't have it sighted in after all that shooting! Either I'm mis-reading your thread or you have something amiss with your set up or something that you're doing. Can you please clarify.
Also you don't say what your shooting out of it - powder, charge, bullet and bullet weight, sabot or no sabot. And what do you consider a good group?
Your post leaves anyone reading this at a loss as to what your issue is if it is an issue at all.

Thanks for checking in. I have since sold the MR-X after nothing but frustration.

I could not get better than Pie plate size groups at 100 yards.

I tried:

10 grain increments of 75-120 grains of triple 7

Same experiment with BH209 60-100 grains

100 grains of white hot pellets

Cheddite, tripple 7, federal primers

Regular breach plug and BH209 breach plug.

- XTPs with sabots both 44 with green sabots & .452 with black sabots

-SST with factory red sabots

-Thompson cheap shot with black sabots

-Thor sized to bore bullets

-Thor lead practice bullets (.452 and black sabots)

- Power belts (multiple types)

Between shots I tried swabbing, full cleaning, and shooting a dirty barrel

I tried tamping hard with the ram rod, and then tried pushing until I just contacted the charge

I also replaced the scope rail with a picatinny from Talley and scope rings from Hank’s. I tried both the Konis scope that came with the gun AND a brand new Burris scope.

All properly torqued with a nice torque screw driver

Still no luck…

Meanwhile I can pick up my center fire guns and shoot a cloverleaf group at 100 yards.

Then I bought Knight Vision (1/3 the price of the MR-X) and I get a near MOA group at 50 yards with tripple 7 and XTPs maybe a tennis ball sized group at 100 with iron sights!

Also I like to shoot regularly and the CVA is difficult to deep clean.

CVA said my poor groups were probably due to shooting off a lead sled… I tried shooting off a bag and had the same problem. At that point I didn’t feel like shipping the gun to them to check it out.

Wasn’t a good experience for me. If you have one of these and love it I am jealous, I REALLY wanted to like the MRX!

Last edited:
I don't have the MRX but I do have the Accura V2 and thatvthing shoots 300 gr XTPs anc 290 gr Barnes TEZs superbly. I believe you got a lemon which happens time to time. I would have sent it back to CVA.

I don't have the MRX but I do have the Accura V2 and thatvthing shoots 300 gr XTPs anc 290 gr Barnes TEZs superbly. I believe you got a lemon which happens time to time. I would have sent it back to CVA.
What kind of groups are you seeing with those loads?

What kind of groups are you seeing with those loads?
I get almost MOA with the Barnes and about 1.5 MOA withthe XTPs using 80 gr of Alliant Black MZ. I haven't run that load thry a chrony but I'm sure velocity isn't great but it is effective on deer and hogs.

Last edited:
I get almost MOA with the Barnes and about 1.5 MOA withthe XTPs using 80 gr of Alliant Black MZ. I haven't run that load thry a chrony but I'm sure velocity isn't great but it is effective on deer and hogs.
That’s a great result, there was a ton I liked about the gun. Looks awesome, great trigger, carried easily, fit me well, nice and simple. I wish my copy worked well.

That’s a great result, there was a ton I liked about the gun. Looks awesome, great trigger, carried easily, fit me well, nice and simple. I wish my copy worked well.
I got my Accura when they 1st came out.in fact the Bergara barrel is so accurate it compelled me to get a CF and a rimfire with the Bergara name. They're both accurate too.
I honestly just can't fanthom a newer CVA being that inaccurate. Two weeks ago I picked up a CVA Scout in 45-70 to have converted into a smokeless muzzleloader but it shoots so good I'm keeping it as is. So today I pucked up another and sending the barrel out on Monday.

I got my Accura when they 1st came out.in fact the Bergara barrel is so accurate it compelled me to get a CF and a rimfire with the Bergara name. They're both accurate too.
I honestly just can't fanthom a newer CVA being that inaccurate. Two weeks ago I picked up a CVA Scout in 45-70 to have converted into a smokeless muzzleloader but it shoots so good I'm keeping it as is. So today I pucked up another and sending the barrel out on Monday.
Is the center fire rifling the same style as the ML barrels or more “conventional” a smokeless setup is next on my list.

It happens (newer CVA being inaccurate). The “X” series rifles have well known, well documented accuracy (mostly 45 cal) and quality issues.

And not likely CVA would have done anything either. In my experience the older CVAs are more accurate and have less lemon issues than the newer ones.

Last edited:
It happens (newer CVA being inaccurate). The “X” series rifles have well known, well documented accuracy (mostly 45 cal) and quality issues.

And not likely CVA would have done anything either. In my experience the older CVAs are more accurate and have less lemon issues than the newer ones.
They told me it was because I was using a lead sled. I know they introduce some weird harmonics but 8+ inch groups are pretty extreme.

When I tried the sabotless bullets sized to bore I tried varying levels of “snugness” and I was flat out missing the paper and even key-holing with those

They told me it was because I was using a lead sled. I know they introduce some weird harmonics but 8+ inch groups are pretty extreme.

When I tried the sabotless bullets sized to bore I tried varying levels of “snugness” and I was flat out missing the paper and even key-holing with those
I was so looking fwd to one of the .45 MRx rifles, that i nearly sold my older .45 Accura LR before i could get one. Pretty glad i held on to it as it an awesome gun. I wish i could just put that MRx stock on my LR.

Latest posts

Back