A new Ruger American .22lr

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I've had my eye on one of these for a couple years and finally one followed me home. Its wearing a Vortex Cross Fire 2X7. Now to find time to shoot it.

My Grandsons all have a gun waiting when I pass, but my #1 great grandson didn't have anything looking at him when I go so this one is his. He's five years old right now.... hopefully he's 25 before he gets it. lol

My plan for this is to get it sighted using cb caps, so I can diminish the rodent critter population here without making a ton of noise. So far no one has the cb caps on hand but the local Scheels has a notification list for when products arrive and I am now on it for ten boxes. I'm going to grab a box of shorts to see how noisy they are. I'll try a couple in the garden and if the cops don't show maybe I'm good with them.

I think I'll hit the gun club tomorrow morning to see how busy it is, maybe get it sighted with long rifles.

CCI makes reduced velocity 22 long rifle ammo. I’ve actually seen it on the shelf at Dunham’s recently.

I just bought one. Coon slayer. 31 so far this year. Reduced velocity loads are nice. But require more than 1 shot to dispatch quickly.

Right now I have 40 grain CCI Minimags, 40 grain CCI subsonic LR, 40 grain Federal Gold Target, CCI shorts and Winchester 40 grain Target and Plinking.

I shot into a 4X4 in the garage with the sub-sonic and a short and they both are probably backyard doable as far as noise goes.

Man there are a lot of different .22 bullets out there right now. Lots of 37 grain stuff that I assume is hyper-velocity. For now, I am sticking with known shooters to get things brought together at the range, then I'll maybe stick my nose in that super high speed stuff. Right now, I am looking for accuracy and if I don't have to go into that hyper fast stuff I won't. I can't imagine that I will need to poke much further than 20 yards but I want it accurate at out to, say, 50 yards. Speed isn't a big need for me.

I just put a scale on the trigger.... 2.75 pounds. I think I am going to love this gun.

I have a couple 10/22 carbines but haven't bothered to shoot either for several years. I've grown to dislike semi-autos and these have short barrels. This gun has a 22" barrel, 5.5" longer than the carbines and a twist rate of 1/16".

Right now I have 40 grain CCI Minimags, 40 grain CCI subsonic LR, 40 grain Federal Gold Target, CCI shorts and Winchester 40 grain Target and Plinking.

I shot into a 4X4 in the garage with the sub-sonic and a short and they both are probably backyard doable as far as noise goes.

Man there are a lot of different .22 bullets out there right now. Lots of 37 grain stuff that I assume is hyper-velocity. For now, I am sticking with known shooters to get things brought together at the range, then I'll maybe stick my nose in that super high speed stuff. Right now, I am looking for accuracy and if I don't have to go into that hyper fast stuff I won't. I can't imagine that I will need to poke much further than 20 yards but I want it accurate at out to, say, 50 yards. Speed isn't a big need for me.
Super high speed usually means super inaccurate. But that depends on what your definition of accuracy is. I have a custom 10/22 that shoots CCI Standard Velocity very, very well.

I just got hustled off the range by high winds. Came up from dead calm. I check the weather and it seems the wind is here for the day with small craft warnings.

I did get off 10 shots of the sub sonic CCI long rifle at 50 yards and can say this is one accurate rifle. First shot lowest with successfully higher shot second, third, fourth and the remainder in the best part of the twinky. Good enough for garden work.

My plan is to hit the range one more day this week and take all of the ammo along. I had weighed up 25 charges of IMR4198 and had the Patriot along, but the wind nixed that idea. Happy though that I could get the American dialed in.

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Try Aquila ammo you will like it.

I found the Aguila Super Extra 40 grain was some of the most accurate ammo in my 10/22 and mkiii pistol. Great price too.

Thanks MM and Les.... I'll see if I can round some of this up.

Try Aquila ammo you will like it.
I found these while on St. Paul this morning at a Cabelas no less. They had squat for muzzy trinkets, but the .22 ammo supply was rich. Boy I could have spent some coins in there. Good thing Ma was right there to steer me…. Not.

I’m bearded back to the range either tomorrow morning or Weds morning. I have seven or 8 different brands/speeds to play with now. Going to burn some smokeless in the Patriot too.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpeg
    IMG_1397.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I just let one of the CCI quiet rounds go in the garage and they are indeed quiet. I'm going to pop one tonight outside to see what its like.

I use CB shorts around the house. 29gr solid lead at 710 fps. I set up a table in the garage and sighted it in with a target I setup in the yard about 10 - 12 yards away. My wife and kids in the house was oblivious to it, never heard a thing. It looks like the CCI quiet rounds are about on par with the CB shorts. 29grs solid vs 40grs segmented hollow point. The CB shorts are accurate longer than what I have them sighted in at.

Back