A waste of time.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
One of the LAST things I thought I'd be doing today is knurling bullets. Nothing more than a waste of time but, it had to be done in order to shoot the bullets, bullet to bore.

I found two boxes of 50, of some of the early Fury 300gr ST bullets. One version was the short 300gr, the other the long 300gr. All 100 of the bullets needed to be knurled, something I never do. However, I decided to knurl these up and use them just for trigger time. Yeah, I P'ed&M'ed doing them, but all 100 are done and fit properly. I'd never use them for a match or hunting, but they'll work for trigger time. I'll shoot them off the bipod and with no rear support using just a glove.

Last edited:
Never had the pleasure of knurling yet. Sounds like I'm not missing much in the fun department. Do still plan on doing it at some point.

The type of wad can make a difference!

At 51°, it was impossible not to take those knurled Fury bullets out for some range time.
I started with a veggie wad, which had always worked perfectly prior. Today however, they weren't doing what I expected.
So I put up two new pasties to send two rounds with the veggie, then two rounds with the wool. Although the wool shot lower, WOW! 2 in 1.

The wad type can make one heck of a difference.

84grs WEIGHT of BH209. Front bipod, no rear support, only a gloved hand.

fury 300 knurled wad differences.jpg

Encore that may have been one of my problems. I was getting lack luster accuracy with the veggie wads. I'm heading out in a bit to try with felt wads. Also going to shoot some saboted bullets
Brakes, if being used can affect the POI also if using wads. Had a conversation with Levi the other day about that.
I have probably 2k of veggie wads and it appears I'll be just storing them. The Fury always shot the best with veggie but not the case with knurled bullets.
Its fun shooting........

Brakes, if being used can affect the POI also if using wads. Had a conversation with Levi the other day about that.
I have probably 2k of veggie wads and it appears I'll be just storing them. The Fury always shot the best with veggie but not the case with knurled bullets.
Its fun shooting........

To verify your response above, check out my posts I just put on in the SML section "Yay...Finally"

Back