Accura MR-X Firing Pin Confusion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCman

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to CVAs and got a PR3224NM Accura MR-X a few months back. Works very well, very pleased it it. Have a lot of shots through it, preforms flawlessly with CCI 209M primers and Blackhorn 209.

Anyway, on my last cleaning of the season I was cleaning the firing pin channel and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a spare spring for the future. Thus I started looking.
However, looking online at the photos of the firing pins it almost seems like I have a northwest firing pin? Did CVA change the design? Or did I somehow get a NW firing pin in my 209 setup? Confirmed the model number is PR3224NM and it came with the 209 breechplug. It has been lighting off primers just fine but I did think it was odd to be so big vs a shotgun firing pin but never put much thought into it before I started looking for a spare part.

Anyone else with an Accura MR-X can you confirm what you have?

My firing pin matches this photo which is described at the musket firing pin:
cva-nw-musket-cap-firing-pin-set_2_799x533.jpg

Does not match this picture of the supposed 209 kit:
cva-209-firing-pin-set-muzzleloader_798x532.jpg

I'm 100% sure I have the one as depicted above. I can snap a photo later but it does not neck down to a small diameter profile like the 209 shown it has the larger diameter as well as the step of the NW shown.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I first got it but it worked so I didn't think about it until I went to look for a spare! :)

I will contact CVA when they reopen next week. I was hoping I wasn't the only one or someone may have an answer is all.

I bought the northwest breech plug kit for my Optima pistol. It's exactly the same as the first picture you posted.
Your second picture is the original firing pin assembly that came with my pistol.
I guess if it works, why mess with it. On the other hand, if you ever bought the northwest breech plug, you're all set for using musket caps.

FWIW I have 2 CVA Accura MRs & a V2. Their firing pin assemblies are identical to your 2nd picture.

Fired & unfired primers.
1nzsdUrl.jpg

the bottom photo looks like my accura mr firing pin set up! going to say older stile.

I just saw the pictures. I noticed there is a O-ring with both setups. I have the MRX .45, and yes it does match the second picture. What I don't have is the O-ring. Am I missing this?

Back