Accuracy for orig 700 Rem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks...
After installing my Badger Ridge Bolt/Breech conversion, I carefully loaded 70gr BY WEIGHT BH 209 powder followed by a wonder wad then topped with a 300gr .452 Dia XTP inside a black HPH-24 Sabot. Fit was tight but not a big struggle to seat.

I had a Nikon P-223 2.5x8x36mm optic on hand that wasn't being used, 1/4 moa adjustment. Even though I carefully weighed each charge prior to shooting, my accuracy was lacking. I checked scope base/rings, even forearm screw to see if anything was loose. Would I benefit by reducing my charge? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Shadowfox64

With the MMP sabot there is really no reason to add a wad to the mix. The powder cup of the sabot will completely seal the gas behind the bullet.

I would also suggest if you want you could go to 80 gr W of BH without a problem. I really do not do much by weight I most always use volume.

Is your Rem a 24" or 26" barrel? That could make a difference in the seating of the barrel in the stock.

Thanks. I will try the next session without the wad.

I simply weighed my loads on my scale to be as consistent and eliminate as many variables as possible. I will go up 10grains by weight from 70 to 80 and give it a try. Btw- 70gr by weight only showed 90gr by volume when using BH 209 load tubes.

Thank you,
Shadowfox64

I simply weighed my loads on my scale to be as consistent and eliminate as many variables as possible. I will go up 10grains by weight from 70 to 80 and give it a try. Btw- 70gr by weight only showed 90gr by volume when using BH 209 load tubes.

Thank you,
Shadowfox64

The load tubes are not really a good measurement of any powder - but they are safe loads.

Even though BH is basically a smokeless powder it is not like loading a rifle shell in that I little bit can make a big difference. Inside 200 yards you can/could be 5 to 7 grains off and not really notice the difference. External conditions has a greater effect than 5 to 7 grains by volume.

The normal conversion factor for BH to Weight is .7 times the volume. 120 grains volume x .7 should work out to be 84 grains by weight.

Thanks Sabotloader. Yes, I noticed that when comparing the BH tube volume reading while weighing each charge carefully with my handloading scales and using my trickle charger as needed to ensure an EXACT weight for each charge.

I'm just trying to think and eliminate each and every possible variable to save frustration and yes money, meaning BH! I appreciate all the good tips and knowledge as continue to put in the time to develop this rig into a fine shooter.

Shadowfox64

Assuming factory barrel: I'd ditch the HPH sabots for standard MMP and get rid of the wad (its not necessary and only complicates the load).

I'd also start at 80 gr by volume, shoot 3 or 5 shot groups, then increase by 5 grains by volume and shoot 3-5 more shots.

All my guns have shot that combo best between 80-100gr by volume.

Then when you know what volume the rifle likes, weigh that and go by weight.

my .02USD,

Tom

Thank you,
Shadowfox64
Those load tunes are Inaccurate.

Thanks Tom...

Your system works perfect. I set my primer pocket for the Rem STS primers as most of my 209's are that.

No blowback and instant ignition. Clean up is super easy as well. I used the HPH sabots as the regular Black MMP were super stiff to load. I'll try them again. As always, many thanks for ALL the helpful tips.

Shadowfox64

jdg20tr...

This an old target shot with a 24" barreled Rem 700. I also had a 26" Rem but I did have to do same sanding of the barrel channel on it to get it to be accurate. The Original 24" Rems the factory took the time to seat the barrel in the stock correctly - with the 26" I think they just dropped them in.

Target.jpg

This a target shooting a 26" Rem

2-26-Rem-BH-209-Label.jpg

You can see I was using an older Nosler black sabot at that time built by MMP. It was probably a HPH 12 but I can not remember for sure. Also MMP has a regular black sabot and 3 black HPH sabots. In the days of the 24" Remington I am thinking the HPH-12 might have been what I used, but, later with the 26" barrel I used the HPH-24.

The original short black MMP could be a bear to get down and the 12 could be really tight,

This is the original MMP Black sabot - I have always referred to it as the 'short black'

https://mmpsabots.com/store/black-sabot50-pcs/
This link will take you to the other HPH sabots

https://mmpsabots.com/store/hph-sabot-series/
Personally I have never removed the ram rod to shoot and it will be in the rifle while hunting. So I didn't see the point.

I still have a concern about your barrel to stock fit.

I hope some of this makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the felt wad had a detrimental effect on the accuracy. Another thing I didn't see anyone mention is load compression. With too tight a bullet it could be difficult to get adequate compression over the charge.

I had one in 24 and 26 inch barrel. Both mine shot good. Never had blackhorn to try in them. I used triple 7 in them. Bullets i used was Remington 44 cal 275gr core lokt bullet. I got to digging around in my reloading room. I fount around 20 packs. And few plastic boxes of 275gr core lokt jhp bullets. Going to see how they shoot in my CVA.

Good evening folks!
Well, I got a chance to go shoot "my work in progress" after bowhunting on Saturday morning.

I did away with the wad as suggested ( Thank you Tom), reduced my load from 100 to 90gr by volume and switched back to the original black MMP sabot. I don't have a picture of the target but my groups did shrink down to 1.5in at 50 yards. The next step is replacing the factory trigger (breaks just under 6lbs) and replacing it with a Timney Huntsman set at 2.5lbs which actually is where I prefer them. My rig while working for Uncle Sam in 7.62x51 also fired at the same weight according to the armory folks who inspected it after shooting my weekly allotment.

I'm wondering if by dropping my load further to 80gr by volume would help further. Trying not to be wasteful with any BH 209 as much as possible. Also pondering the idea of free floating and or possibly a bedding job in the Boyd's stock I replaced the factory stock with.

As always, I really appreciate all your help and input.

Shadowfox64

The next step is replacing the factory trigger (breaks just under 6lbs) and replacing it with a Timney Huntsman set at 2.5lbs which actually is where I prefer them.

The factory trigger is adjustable, but you need to make sure you know what you are doing.

Otherwise, a replacement trigger is a great option.

Back