Alliant Black MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hac

Reaction score
My local Sportsman's warehouse has this for $9.99 a lb so I picked one up just to try it out, looked on line read mix reviews, I guess I will burn a lb and see for my self, I looked on line and it's advertised for $9.99 also If anyone uses it, it's a smoking deal thought I share

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat100011

I have done some of my own testing with it and its a little hotter than 2f t7. Less fouling by far. And super easy clean up. If i coild get it for $10 a lb i would by 5 or 10 lbs. Lol best i have found is $30.

$72.00 Australian and there's none available from the importer :(

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I am curious about this powder also...I have recently shot it versus t73f and got a better group with the blackmz with a sabot Lehigh 250gr (100gr powder) and a paperpatched Lee 458gr (80gr powder)..
Although it was a distance of only 50 yards and the knight ul has a scope...
It seemed the blackmz kept both bullets at about 1"-1 1/2"...where as the t73f opened up to about 3" for both bullets...
Somewhere in the messages I saw a powder test with t72f and t73f and the 2f produced higher fps and the thought is that the slightly bigger kernels of 2f produced a longer burn resulting in the higher fps...the smaller kernels of 3f burnt faster and as a result the pressure dropped before the bullet left the barrel....
SO...in my train of thought(as little as it is these days) being the BlackMZ is a mixture
of very course and fine powders would this give the BlackMZ a leg up on the competition being the fine powder would ignite rapidly and the course would continue
the burn and pressure pushing the bullet out of the barrel faster....
Okay Boys have at this idea.....

I went out today and shot 30 rounds out of 3 rifles 10 shots each,W209 primer and 80 grains by volume of the Alliant Black, one .45 kodiak, .50 LRH, .52 mountaineer, all POI were the same as sighted in with T7, same projectile and sabot that were used to sight in, no cleaning in between shot no crud ring no issues, I really liked the powder I will be purchasing more, I highly recommend it if using T7

rangerod said:
No trouble getting the bp out after range session?

Just finished cleaning, Teflon Tape was used on all plugs, no issues with plugs just like T7 they came rite out with no extra effort

Hatchet Jack said:
Will it work with no. 11's and musket caps ?

I could not answer that, but I can test the no. 11 next Sunday in my TC black diamond super 45xr for you, I don't own anything that uses musket caps maybe someone else could help out with that

Hatchet Jack said:
Will it work with no. 11's and musket caps ?

Yes it has a very low ignition point - so caps work very well... but it does pick up moisture really easy to beware of that...

It works with the hotter #11 caps, it seems to be fairly reliable, it is not a high performance powder, I get 1900 with a 250 grain bullet and 120 grains, that is not all that good.
It is large grain and I do not think it measures well by volume so I would measure by weight. It is much more accurate and much easier loading if wiped with damp then dry patches each shot.
I was not all that impressed by it, but for side lock or for 9.99 a pound at Sportsman's Warehouse it may be what some are looking for.

Lee 9 said:
It works with the hotter #11 caps, it seems to be fairly reliable, it is not a high performance powder, I get 1900 with a 250 grain bullet and 120 grains, that is not all that good.
It is large grain and I do not think it measures well by volume so I would measure by weight. It is much more accurate and much easier loading if wiped with damp then dry patches each shot.
I was not all that impressed by it, but for side lock or for 9.99 a pound at Sportsman's Warehouse it may be what some are looking for.

Lee 9

I don't have a chrono, would you compare it to pyrodex rs?

I was using a 32 inch barrel which adds a bit to the velocity Pyrodex RS gives very similar results. There are many variables, I found you need a lot of wad pressure if that's the right word. In other words you need a tight fitting bullet sabot combination and have to put some serious pressure on the ramrod when you seat the bullet to get the best out of MZ. MZ compares well with black or Pyrodex or the other APP powders but not to 777 or Blackhorn.

Lee 9 said:
I was using a 32 inch barrel which adds a bit to the velocity Pyrodex RS gives very similar results. There are many variables, I found you need a lot of wad pressure if that's the right word. In other words you need a tight fitting bullet sabot combination and have to put some serious pressure on the ramrod when you seat the bullet to get the best out of MZ. MZ compares well with black or Pyrodex or the other APP powders but not to 777 or Blackhorn.

Thank you

My testing was done all out of a knight striker fire inline with musket primer 22" barrel. And my test was done with a 410gr cast bullet black crush rib sabot. 100gr by vol. Weight three charges to get the average weight then measured each to be the same.
Black mz average for 3 shots. 1658 fps
T7 2f 1596fps
pyro rs 1361 fps.
Same bullet same sabot same primers for all same gun same day. I have played with this powder alot the last two months and it is going to be my go to powder. Easy clean up. Have had no moisture issues so far. No major crud issues.

My testing was done all out of a knight striker fire inline with musket primer 22" barrel. And my test was done with a 410gr cast bullet black crush rib sabot. 100gr by vol. Weight three charges to get the average weight then measured each to be the same.
Black mz average for 3 shots. 1658 fps
T7 2f 1596fps
pyro rs 1361 fps.
Same bullet same sabot same primers for all same gun same day. I have played with this powder alot the last two months and it is going to be my go to powder. Easy clean up. Have had no moisture issues so far. No major crud issues.

Just as and FYI, they charge a hazmat to deliver to their own store so, while maybe still a good deal it's not $9.99/LB delivered.

Anyone in Western Wa ordering?

I placed a order of 20 lb in Az, after tax and hazmat fees it came out to $11.56 a pound delivered to there store, I had 3 others to split the bill with

You guys have it good with the powder prices.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back