Alliant Black MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlackMZ... Chronograped
TC Powder Measurer, Tradition Pellet Loader, RCBS 10.10 scale
Per grain volume is approximately 9gr by weight...
But the variance is the grain size and compactibility...
Traditions Pellet Loader volume to wt..
V/W
120/94.2
110/86.3
100/80.7
90/71
80/64.5
70/55.15
60/47.7

Thompson Center measurer/wt
120/108.5
110/98.4
100/88.6
90/79.9
80/70.5
70/62.4
60/54.1

Variance in loading scales by volume
TC/Traditions
120/130
110/120
100/110
90/100
80/90
70/80
60/70...

So there is definitely a big enough variance between the two loader scales to cause significant differences in poi....although...the TC can be tapped to compact the powder very easily where as the Traditions cannot be compacted as easily...
I did not test the compacted TC... but I dont see being able to compact another 10 grains by volume....

460gr..lee paperpatched bullet
80gr/weight...1553 fps
70gr/volume..........1281
60gr/v.....................1057
....ran out of bullets...

250gr lehigh/sabot
100gr/wt....2047
105gr/v...1884 & 1840
...ran out of bullets....

250gr HSM hard lead bullet/sabot
105/v....1742
105/v....1790

To have made this test more scientific I should have ran tc loader against the traditions in field test and then compared them both to the rcbs scale per weight...
Another day....

Mikeul50. What type of rifle were you using? Cal and barrel length? And what type of ignition did it have? I love the powder working on loads for a new evolution. All my testing i posted was done with a 22" barrel and musket caps, did some with #11 as well. The evolution i just got is a 24" barrel and 209 in .50 cal.

Isn't it made by AAP, and just relabeled? It still looks like kitty litter.

Mech1
I was shooting it in a knight ul 50cal...I think it is a 24" barrel...but by the time you load and stuff it is probably only 21.5"....
Was igniting it with #11 caps as I was still having problems with ignition of muskets
even after I sent the ml back to factory because of ignition problems...I will more than likely never attempt to ignite another musket on this ml...all #11 caps have fired with every pull of the trigger..I am happier....
As far as I am concerned my information is very incomplete...basically I had tried all kinds of different loads before I started the chrono test...running out of bullets is a bad approach to finding a sweet spot in loading...
My main objective was to just get some numbers up so that can compare things in the future more wisely....
BUT...after testing the hard lead HSM bullets I shot a few clay pigeons...I was loading powder from the bottom of the pound container...lots of fines...very few big chunks...and I did notice a little more recoil and more noise from the rifle...

Muley Hunter...
As for relabled..I don't know I have only opened two bp containers...T73F and Mz...
T7 resembles all the centerfire powders I have seen...
MZ I guess does resemble cat litter and spilled oil pickup material...because they are the same material...bentonite...I have worked at a bentonite mill and sacked each with the same exact material...
If BlackMZ was a more refined material weighing and loading would be simple...and I do like the price at sportsmanswarehouse....but we will keep that a secret...right...

I am on my 2nd # of it now. And mixed the last little bit of the other one with this one. Love this powder myself and plan to keep using it.

Mikeul50 said:
Mech1
...I was loading powder from the bottom of the pound container...lots of fines...very few big chunks...and I did notice a little more recoil and more noise from the rifle...
Hope to get a chance to try this powder sometime. Though I might want to weigh my loads after reading the quote above.

According to MSDS on Alliant web site, its explosive components are potassium nitrate (as with conventional BP) and potassium perchlorate (probably as an electron donor during decomposition of nitrate). Pyrodex is the only other propellant with potassium perchlorate. I suspect the two are essentially the same . Perchlorate would make it hightly corrosive (hydrochloric acid is one of the byproducts of the burn). As with Pyrodex, it would be good idea to swab the barrel with anything with high Ph sooner rather than later (windex/ammonia or soapy water/sodium hydroxide) will do the job.

BoxerRider said:
According to MSDS on Alliant web site, its explosive components are potassium nitrate (as with conventional BP) and potassium perchlorate (probably as an electron donor during decomposition of nitrate). Pyrodex is the only other propellant with potassium perchlorate. I suspect the two are essentially the same . Perchlorate would make it hightly corrosive (hydrochloric acid is one of the byproducts of the burn). As with Pyrodex, it would be good idea to swab the barrel with anything with high Ph sooner rather than later (windex/ammonia or soapy water/sodium hydroxide) will do the job.

You are not correct. Triple Seven also has potassium perchlorate as one of its ingredients. White Hots has it as well. None of these powders are the same even though they share some similar ingredients.

Well i have let one of the muzzle loaders that i have used black mz in for 3 weeks and no rust at all after three weeks. Water is the best way to clean it up from what i have found. Wipe dry with a patch or two and one oil patch and no big deal.

Back