Altitude Sickness

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Altitude Sickness

This is some good information that you may like to pass on to party members from an old friend about altitude sickness that some may experience when muzzle loading hunting or camping in the mountains of Colorado as well as any of the Rocky Mountain states.  A brother in the AMM and friend was asked about this issue of altitude sickness, see his reply.

To answer your question on altitude sickness I’ll explain it as simple as possible without too many medical terms, they can be mind boggling. 

Much of altitude sickness is from a degree of dehydration due to the dry air. You loose an incredible amount of water from your skin and breath.

This contributes significantly to the weakness and lassitude. The headaches are from a degree of brain swelling which is not usually dangerous below 14k to 18k elevations, but has killed climbers at higher elevations. That is why most knowledgeable climbers carry there own inject able Decadron (dexamethasone) a steroid which does reduce swelling of the brain.

As for the milder altitude problems that you get (and so do I if I'm not careful...I live at about 700 feet), I'll tell you what I do. I make sure that I get extra sleep when I fly to those mountains because sleep deprivation compounded by jet lag contributes to the altitude problems. I take 2 aspirin 3-4 times daily for the beginning a day before I arrive and for 2-3 days later. Aspirin has a significant anti-inflammatory effect and prevents clots both large and "micro". (I generally take 1-2 daily all the time because I seem to be prone to injuries from encounters with the 4-leggeds and I don't want to die suddenly from a blood clot that I didn't know I had. 

A young lady friend of mine died agouti 6 weeks after an auto accident years ago because of a clot!). I make myself drink water far beyond what my thirst would dictate...a good measure of your degree of hydration is to watch your urine. It should appear nearly colorless, like water. The degree of color has to do with concentration, unless you are taking something that colors it like some vitamins. And finally, you should allow yourself at least one full day and preferably 2-3, to acclimate without strenuous activity.

Make yourself walk each day several times...only 15minutes each the first day and then up to 30+. 

I have flown into ski at 14,000 feet and have developed this scheme for myself because I have, in the past, missed several days due to headache, nausea, etc. I have not had the problem since I began paying attention to the above issues. I have also reviewed the medical literature on this and so speak from both experience and known facts (which are few). Of course, you won't always have the luxury to do the 3 day adjustment, but knowing about it should encourage you to develop a plan that will lessen your chance of feeling rotten. 

Hope this helps. By the way, if you have a problem with that much aspirin, even 1-2 per day have a significant impact. Ibuprofen and Tylenol do not!

Spotted Snake
(Bruce M. Ashley, MD)
--------------------
Aux Ailments de Pays!

Re: Altitude Sickness

When I was traveling in Bolivia, the altitude in the Andes mountains was a real challenge. 
We were advised of three things to help. 

1. There is an altitude medication that can be prescribed by a Doc before you go that can reduce the impact. (The headaches suck.) If you get flown into a high area (La Paz was at 12,000 feet above sea level), this medication can help reduce the impact. (I had to sleep quite a bit that first day as my body screamed for oxygen.) Check for drug interactions if you are on other meds.

2. Move slow. Don't be in a hurry to go anywhere. (I made the mistake of running that first week and ended up on an oxygen tank for 20 minutes. Yes. They keep them on hand for stupid travelers like me.) 

3. Drink coca leaf tea and/or chew the leaves. This is NOT a drug. It is a simple, useful, herbal tea that can save your butt. Norte Americanos often freak out about it, thinking it is addictive like cocaine. NOT. Not even close. Stupid, evil people expose simple coca leaf to harsh chemicals to radically change it to the nasty and addictive drug that should be totally avoided. But, the tea and the leaf are perfectly safe. If you are not drinking this natural tea and you are suffering from altitude sickness, you deserve it because you are stubborn and/or ignorant. It works. It is a centuries old remedy. It is also a very tasty tea with a little sweetener added. I used to have some at home. I am not certain if you can obtain these in the US. But, it is just as natural and as beneficial as coffee, but better for altitude.

Before traveling to a high altitude, check in with your Doc to check your ticker. It will be working hard to keep you moving in that thin air. Exercise before you leave! One month of exercise before leaving will help once you arrive.

NOTE: The sun becomes BLISTERING at altitude. Wear Hats and Sunscreen or endure serious pain. The thinned air lets more UV sunlight to reach you.

"There is an altitude medication that can be prescribed by a Doc before you go that can reduce the impact. (The headaches suck.) If you get flown into a high area (La Paz was at 12,000 feet above sea level), this medication can help reduce the impact. (I had to sleep quite a bit that first day as my body screamed for oxygen.) Check for drug interactions if you are on other meds."

The medication is called Diamox and mountain climbers use it when problems crop up.
I had severe headaches when I got above 11,000 ft. and this made it bearable. However, the best thing to do in cases like mine is to go lower until you recover. Altitude sickness (as already noted) can be fatal.

I use to smile hearing the eastern hunters come up to the mountains in Colorado and Wyoming telling us how hardy they were. Then on the second or third day they are hurting puppies being sick. I had warned them for several months before about altitude sickness and they just blew it off. No fund to be sick and sicker once they figure out while they are down - that is lost hunting time. :roll:  $$$ :pale:

conner said:
I use to smile hearing the eastern hunters come up to the mountains in Colorado and Wyoming telling us how hardy they were. Then on the second or third day they are hurting puppies being sick. I had warned them for several months before about altitude sickness and they just blew it off. No fund to be sick and sicker once they figure out while they are down - that is lost hunting time. :roll:  $$$ :pale:
"eastern hunter " here.  :)
I've experienced 11,000 feet above sea level.  Shortness of breath dominated and was making me unpleasantly :pale: dizzy.   :barf:

oatmeal and bananas! Helps greatly, along with water.

Marty said:
I've experienced 11,000 feet above sea level.  Shortness of breath dominated and was making me unpleasantly :pale: dizzy.   :barf:
I was raised in PA and it took several years to adjust to 6,000 and higher heights. I hear you Marty.

Jon I've tried all the different foods and water works the best...

FrontierGander said:
oatmeal and bananas! Helps greatly, along with water.
I'm especially sensitive to motion sickness, so I'll consider any remedy that works on nausea.  I can't :( even fish in the ocean... a real bummer :x having such easy access.

conner said:
Marty said:
I was raised in PA and it took several years to adjust to 6,000 and higher heights. I hear you Marty.
Small world conner...I too grew up in PA(Central).

Marty said:
conner said:
Marty said:
Small world conner...I too grew up in PA(Central).

I was born in Malvern (site of the "Paoli Massure" Rev War site), family member died in this event. Spent my summers near State College on the family farm of 1,500 acres.

Back