another hp fill idea.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
I am thinking about setting up my casting junk. taking an pan with water placing some 270gr 45cal copper. fill them with WW lead.

any thoughts?

gotta pull the sandbucket out lol

What could work is to use the pan, fill it with water until its even with the tip of the powerbelt but not filling the HP with water and then heat up your lead and carefully pour it into the HP. The water around it will rapidly cool off the bullet and the lead that spills over. Wont stick to the bullet either. Then just carefully file it flat.

DO NOT POUR MOLTEN LEAD ANY WHERE NEAR WATER PEOPLE. Believe me on this. It will explode all over you, and it is hot. And it will burn you. When you are around molten lead you need to even be careful of sweat on your forehead dripping off. Please, that lead will explode all over you.

This is a very bad idea. I once was casting with the doors open on the shop and a simple gust of wind blew snow into the shop and a few flakes hit the molten lead. Next thing I knew, I had molten lead on my pants. Not a good thing.

Wear long sleeve shirts, gloves, and eye protection. But do not try pouring molten lead into a powerbelt hollow point. If these bullets are that bad, then do not use them.

I think FG has shown us that if you use them right, all these gimmicks are not necessary.

little looking around on my part.

pure lead melts at about 500

WW melts at about 515

just a little playing on my part. oh well, looks like no matter how I do it I loose lead on both ends of the deal.

going to the range and shot some 270gr hp's out of me apex with 75grs of triple 7 2f.

save my lead for my sks. I'll be going thou enough of it.

I am still working on a mold. I just need to find a chunk of aluminum.

Looking for a way to control the bullets expansion so you can use more powder and have it perform without any worries.

The jb quick i used worked nicely and it is stiff...i have not shot meat with it but it is dead on at 150yards in my bobcat with 295 hp filled and 90 grains pyrodex RS..all i shot was a steel barrel at 150yrds big hole in big hole out..

The lead water !!! Father (mean cuss )molding sinkers with store bought mold i hold mold he pour lead...

Lead was not going all the way down ...he thought mold needs to be colder .. he dunked it in water -- then i hold it over a 5 gallon bucket of water as he pours the lead in...I was 12

Now he says no matter what --DO NOT let go of that mold!!!

Here comes the pour ----BOOOOMMMM -----right in my face HOT LEAD stuck to my face and all down my shirt ..MELTING my dukes of hazzard shirt and my face!

Now i grit my teeth and continue to hold ..Pain ..if i don"t do what the old man says there will be more pain...

He freaks says damn let go boy !!!
I splash cool water on my face and peel all that led off...

I use drill bits and 4x4 posts to make my sinkers and a little 12 gauge solid copper...

Now cool a towel in ice water and wring it out ,,wrap it around the lead bullet and place a piece of luan plywood over the bullet with a small hole drilled in it...

That might work.. or JB WELD

How would it work to take a file/saw and flatten off the plastic tips instead of trying to fill the holes up?

It wouldnt. The insert needs to be threaded. If you pull one of the aerotips out you'll notice that its V shaped at the bottom. That punches through the base of the bullet as it pancakes and just weakens the bullet and allows it to blow apart. Heck, I'll test them tomorrow with your idea and report back, How about that?

Latest posts

Back